Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Been having severe neck pain since June. Had previous steroid injection 7 years ago which worked for a long time. A series of 3 injections gave no relief in August. My orthopedist says that neck pain with little arm pain does not have as good a prognosis with surgery as those who have the arm pain. Anyone in this situation had luck with the surgery? The pain is affecting all aspects of my life but don't want to do surgery if prognosis not good. Pain is quite severe but only random pains in arm. Appreciate any input. Something has to change.

• Having been thru the neck pain "system" including 2 surgeries, you need a neurologist to give you a thorough neurologic exam, and then get an MRI. If that doesn't show, then you might need a discogram or some other kind of test. Arm pain doesn't always come from your neck. It can come from brachial plexus (top of shoulder), or thoracic outlet (where the nerves/vein/artery exit your trunk to arm and return). It sounds like and I only have your limited description that you just went in and someone did injections without figuring out what the problem was---here try this, I make 5K whether it works or not, and if it doesn't, we'll try something else, is about the attitude of some of these jokers.
  • Lots of similar posts on this topic, but if you are like me it requires a bit too much PC sitting to review, and that's not good with a sore neck.

Before you go down the MRI, surgery path, consider a much simpler and more likely beneficial approach.

Have someone check out your neck and back muscles for tightness and soreness.

Knotted and tight back muscles pull down the neck muscles, making them very sore and painful. Can then lead to severe headaches across the scalp.

My GP recently told me that neck nerves are very much affected by our arms, so a lot of arm use can then adversely affect the neck from nerve irritation.

There is an ageing process where the spine gradually wears out, nerves get compromised, muscles become weak, we lose fitness, do no physical maintenance-yet still try to work and play as usual.

So have a good review of your overall physical fitness and muscle tone, and the demands you are placing on your body.

I have had great benefit from remedial massage, but at 64 it will be a rest of life maintenance need.