Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scheduled for MIS-TLIF

laughnsmilellaughnsmile Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

on December 3. My surgeon has a great reputation and I have
confidence in him. I will be in the hospital overnight
only unless there is complications.

I was given an exercise program to begin the day after surgery. It is structured for 42 days. In addition to
walking as much as you like. The instructions say to do 10
repetitions for each excercise. It says pain may increase
or be reproduced with each repetion and to always allow any
pain or stretch to resolve to your baseline level before
progressing to next repetition.

After the 6 weeks, a referral is made to PT.

Anyone else given an exercise program starting day following surgery?

• Forgive me but I don't know what a MIS TLIF is, do you mean minimally invasive TLIF? If so, that's what I had and I cannot imagine doing any workouts right out of the hospital. I was in a lot of pain for the first week post op and even now I am still experiencing some pain (I'm only 10 days post-op). I was in the hospital for 3 days.
  • I just did AxiaLIF last week. You could say the pedicle screw and rod install is part of a MIS TLIF. I was told not to bend, twist, lift. Just like any other surgery patient.

Walking absolutely.

What exactly are you talking about when you say exercises?

• given an exercise plan, just told to walk a lot. However, I did find a stretching/exercise regimen here on the site that basically starts with day 1 after surgery. I didn't start that soon, I waited until I was into my second week. For the first few weeks it consists of stretching your hamstrings, quads, etc. I feel like it has helped a lot. All of my leg muscles were so tight after a year of terrible pain and barely being able to walk, much less exercise, and I think the stretches have really helped get m flexibility back. I also found out how weak my core muscles had gotten compared to where I was when I was doing official PT earlier in the year.

My doc isn't going to officially start PT until about 10 weeks post-op, but I figure if I can work on getting my muscles a little stronger and getting my flexibility back, then I'll be a little ahead of the game when PT starts. BUT let me stress that I take it very slow, and am very careful. I don't do any bending or twisting, and if it feels wrong in any way I don't do it!