Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Decompression?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Alternative Treatments
Hi all -
I've been seeing advertisements lately for places such as this one:
which offer spinal decompression as a way to avoid surgery. Does anyone have any experience with this?

• I am pretty sure this is for the DRX machine... It is basically very expensive traction. Neither of my insurance companies paid for my treatments.

I would be careful if you have an injury and use this. You probably wouldn't want to use this equipment on an old injury or on an unstable segment.

My first pain doctor believed in this alot. He thought that the traction would pull the herniated disc back in. That may be the case for some people.

If you want to try it. Find a PT who has the machine and get your insurance to pay for it if you can.

• AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 06/14/2016 - 12:59 PM
    True, It's a glorified traction machine. PT's have been using it for ages. They've added a few bells and whistles, charged 100000 dollars for the machine and now marketing it aggressively.
    For more information on Traction/Spinal Decompression check out this page:
    Your PT should be able to determine if you are likely to benefit from it.
  • The newspaper ads are similar and appeal to your emotions.
    I wish I could find some very positive reviews on these machines (DRX) other than what is presented by chiropracters. Sure I'd try it as an alternative to continued pain or surgery but my feeling is that it will be costly both in $ and emotion and would not help me. Then perhaps I would be told it helps 92% but not everyone or maybe I need some additional treatments. I have not had any luck with chiro. or P.T. Only my own hard work and perserverence has helped me. However, this sciatica is now with me 4.5 months and I will have a micro discectomy done.
    THis is after chiro. treatment, P.T. & injections.
    I do intend to lay low after surgery but to then make a complete and healthy recovery.