Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failing SCS Trial?

BrothersBBrothers Posts: 78
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Hi, Everyone

We travelled 180 miles by train for my SCS trial at one of the most reputable hospitals in the Northeast. Since the laptop was too heavy to carry in addition to the rest of the luggage, I am using the hotel's ancient HP destop computer in a "business center". This hotel is a dump, but it is on a courtyard with a CVS pharmacy and a Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) Market, and only two blocks (five-minute walk) from the hospital.

I was planning to write a blow-by-blow description of the whole procedure from my careful and copious notes, something I may still do, but I need help from my friends who have already been through this.

My doctors implanted one percutaneous lead on Tuesday afternoon, using plenty of Lidocaine but no sedation. It took awhile because I wanted coverage of my right leg from ankle to hip, and I would not get up off the table until they got the complete leg covered (as per Cheri's advice). After the St. Jude ANS rep gave me five programs, I staggered back to the hotel, still under the influence of the Lidocaine.

When the Lidocaine wore off, I felt like I had been kicked in the back by a mule. Wednesday, I took a couple of turns around the courtyard, still feeling like I had been kicked in the back by a mule. (Anyone remember Lionel Hardcastle's experience in Korea in 1952? But I digress.)

Thursday morning, with the back pain having subsided somewhat) we set out to do some serious walking. I walked to the nearest Ace Hardware and bought a grabber (also recommended by Cherish22). In the afternoon, we started out walking again. However, I noticed the right leg pain was getting worse. The SCS stimulation was covering more than the area from which I felt pain, but the stim did not seem to be masking the pain.

On the way back from the hospital Thursday afternoon, I noticed two types of pain (while stimulation was on). I had a mild stab pain in the center of my right knee. I also felt diffuse aching in my right thigh and gluts.

This morning (Friday), trying to walk again, the diffuse aching in my right thigh, gluts and outer hip worsened. So I went back to the hotel.

This afternoon, we met again with the ANS rep. She is a very nice former nurse, and we do like her as a person. My doctor says she is fully competent for her job. I asked about the frequency and pulse width of the programs she had given me, and especially about the one that gave the best coverage. Of course, I was not surprised when she told my it is her company policy not to tell the patient what the electrode, frequency and pulse width are for the programs, that the patient should just let the ANS rep give the patient some programs to evaluate. She programmed eight additional programs. I did get out of her that Prog. 7 was the same as Prog. 2 except with shorter pulse width.

As someone with 43 years experience as a practicing engineer, this is somewhat frustrating.

My ANS rep suggested that my aching muscles might have been the result of overuse, compared to the disuse during the three years since my back surgery left me with chronic pain in my right leg. Perhaps I could solve my nerve pain issue with a permanent SCS implant, and then get physical therapy to restore my muscles.

Here are my questions for those with SCS experience:

Does the SCS block some kinds of pain but not others?

If my aching thigh and gluts are due to overuse of previously idle muscles, why is it that the ache comes only from the stimulated leg and not from the other (left) leg? I don't favor one leg over another when I walk, I have not used my left leg any more than my right leg.

How long does it take during the trial to determine whether stimulation is effective in reducing radicular pain?

• You're crazier than I am. You do realize that you should take it easy the first couple of days so you can get accustomed to the stimulation. It sounds like you're pushing it pretty hard. You probably have everything seriously inflammed now. It took a couple of days before I noticed some improvement. My trial didn't reach everything but it did take care of some of my discomfort.

• Let me tell you what my new PM just told me why my stimulator failed me.
    I was told I was a perfect candidate for a stimulator because my pain is in my feet and legs BTW.

A stimulator works by scrambling the pain signals to the brain. The brain does not recognize these scrambled signals as pain signals so you no longer feel pain. The pain is still there but you do not feel it.
    Some peoples brains figure out it is being "tricked" by the scrambled signals and figures out a way to work around these scrambled signals so it can continue sending the pain signals.

As we all know the stimulator does not work for everyone and from what my new PM told me that is why.
    Hopefully this will not be your case and the stimulator will work for you.

Best of luck
    Patsy W
  • You are correct in your assessment that the SCS will cover some type of pain but not others. I periodically will get very sharp stabbing pain in my hip or feet. It is intense. I can feel it through the stimulation. I don't know what to make of the aching. Have you tried turning the stim off for a while? That can often give you a good sense of how much its helping. You could also see how your sore leg feels. Is your ANS rep printing up your programs? Mine always made a photocopy for me and had all the info on it so I don't think there is a rule against giving you that info. Plus HIIPA requires you to have access to all your medical records. How long is your trial? Be positive and don't talk yourself into a failure. Susan
  • it takes a year or longer for ones brain to "figure out its being tricked". Brothers, how did it feel when they first turned the device on? Did it feel good?
  • Brothers, a couple of things came to my mind as I was reading your post. The first (and somewhat embarrassing) is that I don't remember your overall pain pattern. If you could re-post that information, it would definitely be helpful to me and maybe to others, as well.

The second thing was that I agree that your rep is blowing some smoke about telling the patient the details of the programming information. It's not like it's a trade secret or something. I know I'd be frustrated as hell too, BUT I don't think it's worth tackling that issue during the trial, because I think your time and attention is better spent evaluating the system and different programs. If you go forward with the permanent implant, you can nag your rep into submission later on. :))(

I've been actively rehabbing (structured exercise) for over a year and have had many occasions when I've pushed my muscles too far. In general, my SCS doesn't cover what I classify as 'normal people' pain, which is the pain I would have from certain activities if there wasn't a single thing wrong with my spine/discs/nerves/etc. My SCS does not cover that "day after the gym" muscle ache and it never covers shin splints from walking too much, even when I beg. ;) It doesn't always make sense what it covers and what it doesn't, though.

In my case, my left leg has been weaker than my right since my initial injury. Part of that weakness came from lack of use, but the rest comes from the nerve damage itself. Even when we're at rest, our muscles receive signals from the nerves, so they're are always active. When the nerves are damaged, they don't send as much information to the muscles, so that underlying activity changes and if it changes enough, it results in that loss of strength/function. Even if you were doing the same set of structured exercises, the loss of the involuntary/unconscious muscle activity can result in a difference in the overall strength.

If you have more nerve damage to the right leg and your left leg is unaffected or less affected, it's very possible that the right leg is weaker and you'd have more muscular pain from overuse on that side. You'd have to consider if that seems like a possibility for you, in the light of your whole history.

Also, for the purposes of this thread, it's worth knowing there has never been a documented case of habituation (figuring out the "trick") during the trial phase, because it doesn't last long enough. As Susan pointed out, it usually takes closer to a year of consistent stimulation for that to happen. It's also much less common with the multi-channel, highly programmable IPG's on the market, compared to the single-channel, less programmable devices in the "old days." I feel a full blown literature review of that topic coming on, but I'll post that elsewhere in our lovely new SCS home. @)
  • Friends,

Thank you for your responses to my questions. In response to BW, I will try to explain my pain pattern:

Since my second surgery removed the nuclear disc material wrapped around my right L4 nerve root, I have had gradually increasing positional radicular pain in my right leg.

I have been more lucky than some others with FBBS in that my pain goes away in the supine position. It depends what the pain level was before I lay down, but in 5 minutes, or 15 minutes, or half an hour the pain will diminish and mostly disappear. So I have never had much trouble sleeping. My trouble has been standing, sitting and walking normally. I could only walk about 15 minutes before the pain would increase to the point that I have to stop. Three days straight of walking 600 to 800 meters at a time recently increased my leg pain to the point that I was homebound for the next two days.

Sitting has also been a problem. Sitting 20 minutes to eat cereal caused intense radicular pain that lasted three days.

I have not had much trouble with back pain, at least not before this trial. As others have commented, lying on top of the lead coming out of the back in not comfortable, even after the pain from the mule kick diminished. I also now have a pain in my left lumbar region that increases and decreases in intensity. I hope that goes away when they remove the lead on Tuesday.

The percutaneous lead was inserted last Tuesday. Wednesday, I resisted my wife's encouragement to walk around the city like a tourist. I just took a couple turns around the courtyard, amounting to maybe 200 m.

Thursday, I walked 50 minutes in the morning. In the afternoon, I walked 15 min, then rested. Then 1 hour 20 minutes shopping. Dave, does that sound crazy?

To answer one of Susan's questions, I do not find the stimulation annoying. As everyone knows, it is very positional, and I can turn is on and off by changing my posture. Excess lordosis will make it feel like I put my leg in a power socket. Slumping turns it off.

On the other hand, I do not feel that any level of stimulation makes a dramatic change in pain level. I am sitting longer than usual to type this post, but that is about all I can say for it at this time.

I greatly appreciate the advice of you people who have learned how to live with and benefit from SCS, and I will look later for any additional advice you might have.

• I don't have too much more to add beyond what others have said here. However, I would remind you to pay close attention to how you feel after the trial is removed for a couple of days. I know for me it really helped to firm up my decision that the stimulation had helped with my pain.

• Naw, you don't sound crazy. Still think you are overdoing it a little. I normally walk 2 hours every day. Sometimes the walk is relaxing and other times its a chore. During my trial, I cut back to 30 minutes each day. I had that pain in the lumbar region during my trial also. It wasn't debilitating, but it was uncomfortable. I had two leads, so got to feel it on both sides. This feeling will pass a couple of days after your trial.

I am very envious that you can reset your pain levels by laying down. Early on, I would reset to low levels for the morning and gradually build up as the day progressed. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case for me as everything is on 24/7 now. Your pain description makes me go HMM. It sounds like something is pressing on the nerve when you stand or walk. I know you said you are not a candidate for surgery, but maybe a standing MRI wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe you have something else going on in there. I'm not sure how well an SCS is going to work if you have a nerve that is still being compressed.

Just trying to throw some thoughts and ideas over the fence to see if anything sticks. I got the idea from my neighbor who just blew all his leaves into my yard.

• I did not ask you if you find the stimulation annoying. I asked if when the device was turned on, it felt good as in a-a-h-h, like an itch being scratched. One of the reps who works with a local reknowned neuromodulation researcher claims that the two of them know whether the SCS is going to work for a particular candidate by how they first react the moment the device is first turned on. So, when it was first turned on, did it feel really good or not so much? Susan
  • I knew as soon as the trial stim was turned on that it provided me relief I wasn't getting from any other medical treatment, and my docs tried everything they had.

When I began to over-analyze the way I was feeling or not feeling I nearly convinced myself that it was not working for me. I'm a techno geek and I have a tendency to look at things from the nuts and bolts level instead of how smooth of a ride it provides.

Every time the rep turned the stimulation field off while setting up new programs to try, I felt like he was taking away the best thing that had ever happened to me. It was almost like the feeling of deflating a balloon. It was a serious sense of loss.

Since you appear to over-analyze things like I do, something to keep in mind is the placement of the trial lead, the type of lead and the way the stimulation is being presented to your body. There's two basic types of neurostimulation, dorsal column and dorsal root. Depending on which is being stimulated, you can either feel relief or increased pain and spasm.

This is why specialized paddle leads have been developed specifically for neurostimulation in the lower areas of the spine. These leads are designed to fit better in the epidural space of your spine, be far more stable and allow stimulation patterns to be programmed that target the dorsal column better and reduce dorsal root stimulation. I believe that BionicWoman has the Specify 5-6-5 Lead which is designed specifically for this reason. ANS has a lead that tries to do the same thing, it is the ANS Lamitrode Tripole 16C. The ANS lead has a much higher energy consumption level than the Medtronic Specify and requires far more frequent recharging.

Regardless of the differences in the two brands of leads, my point is, that a single percutaneous lead used in a trial is not a good indicator as to whether or not good neurostimulation can be achieved for an individual. The programming options (neurostimulation patterns achievable) with a single percutaneous lead are far different than those with the tripole leads that can do a better job targeting dorsal column vs dorsal root stimulation.

For my trial I had two percutaneous leads that were programmed to create different neurostimulation patterns, giving me a much more comfortable pattern than was achieved with a single lead.

Something else to keep in mind, as pointed out by Dave, is that if your pain is mechanically generated, then an SCS may not be the best thing for you.

The difference my trial stimulator made for me, was that I went from being unable to walk more than 30 seconds without it feeling like someone was standing on my shoulders with ice skates, to being able to walk as much as I wanted. My trial was only 3 days long and the difference was very obvious to those around me. Have you asked your traveling companion if there is any observable difference in you, the way you look, the way you walk, the way you interact?

Good luck,

• Oh the stress of the SCS trial. Driving ourselves mentally crazy, eh? BTDT. And how am I not shocked that you are an engineer? I'm married to one - oh the familiarity. lol

For me, because my procedure was so traumatic, it was the last few days before I really knew I wanted the SCS implant.

A few things: My SCS covers NO muscle pain, not in my back or legs or wherever. Just helps to block the radiating nerve pain. Taking the edge off that gives me a massive quality of life increase.

I had to turn my SCS off a few times, for a few hours, just to help my brain realize it IS getting relief (or isn't, whichever the case may be.)

Many folks have their trial, pretty much decide it didn't help that much and then when it is removed, start whining about how much they now realize it did help. lol So what you are going through mentally is common.

On your ANS remote, there is a button on the left hand side that has 3 electrodes on it - see it? This is explained in the CD video and booklets, I just never saw it or remembered it until last month.

While you have a program on, you can click that electrode button and increase it or decrease it. Again, this is the material they give us, so it is "legal" for us to. I found that by turning that electrode "up" but within the working program, I got a little "oomph" and it helps.

Do you think you are having much interference not being in your normal bed? Are you able to walk for longer than 20 minutes.........and then not die later from a nerve flare from you know where? What about sitting......has that window increased? If you had the permanent and no better coverage than what you have right now, would that improve your quality of life?

Like Susan has said many times, hers seems to be getting better as time goes on. Me, I don't turn mine off! lol But I have days where the nerve pain just seems to burn on through and I can start to panic a little, wondering has my brain figured it out? lol But no, just a bad day.

When you went back for tweaking, did she think your leads moved at all? Do you know where your lead is placed? Higher or lower than "normal"? Did the lead appear to cooperate and not go off midline? In other words, did the doc struggle to get the lead to behave? Or were they simply trying to find the right spot for your pain coverage?

When is this removed again? If it is next week, you may really see a big change this weekend as your back continues to calm down.

Oh, and as to the leg pain - I also have one weaker leg like Bionic Woman. Right after my SCS, my back pain went through the roof and almost laid me out. I was shocked at how just walking inflamed my "formerly reclined 23 hours a day" back muscles. That has definitely improved.

Oh man, I thought I sent this last night. UGH!! Hope this goes through.

• Thanks for all the comments and suggestions, my friends.

SK: Unfortunately, I did not have any "Ahhh" moment. The stimulation does not bother me, but it does not seem to reduce the pain either.

With some of the programs, i have complete coverage of my right leg from hip to ankle, as I requested. Some programs cover only the outer portion of my leg, but others cover exactly where i complained that I felt pain. So I do not have any coverage complaints.

I did not want to go into the details of how the lead got to where it is now. Maybe later I will explain what happened while I was lying supine in the operating room, but I don't think i have any complaints as to the placement of the lead. The coverage is what i asked for.

One of my friends (who will remain nameless) suggested that I should see the sights and take my wife out to dinner during this trial. Maybe would could try the Mideast restaurant across the street.

C: My wife is quite discouraged. She would like to go sightseeing with me, and I can't.

What causes my pain? I had a sitting MRI a couple of years ago. My PM doctor here wrote in my diagnosis that I have scar in the right L4 foramen that impinges on the L4 nerve root when I walk. That agrees with what several radiologists have said in reviewing my MRIs and CT myelogram, done more than a year ago. In a previous post, I explained how five doctors (as part of a biweekly seminar) determined that it was scar and not nuclear material.
    The consensus among spine surgeons in the Northeast is that surgery to remove scar is not efficacious, and will only result in more scar -- probably leading to more pain. That is why the neurosurgeon at this hospital referred me to the pain clinic as a possible SCS candidate.

During this trial I have been turning off the SCS when I lie down, as I usually do not have pain when lying down. I have been having some low intensity footsole pain lying down after turning off the SCS. I don't usually have that problem, but I am not worrying about it. What I am considering is the deep aching/burning of my right thigh and glut toward the end of a 30-minute walk with the SCS on, just as I would have with no SCS.

I thank each of you for your helpful comments. Please keep the suggestions coming.
  • I was just checking in to see how you're doing? Have you tried shutting off the stim yet (when you're not lying down) to see how you feel? I would bet $100, if this thing isn't working for you, your pain is not coming from a nerve issue. So at least this trial will have some diagnostic benefit. Who knows. I just want this to work for you so bad. Please tell your wife that I said she should go sightseeing without you. Best, Susan
  • Is that I did not really have an ahhhhh moment either. I was as you are, kicked ny mule, just higher up. It took the PM three tries to get the lead into the space, let alone start trying for stimulation. My T-spine healed with a dip in it closing up the spaces he normally uses.

After about day 3 or 4 I was starting to figure out how it helped me. I went to work the last 3 days of my 8 day trial and really knew it was working. I went to Disney World between the trial and permanent placement and really, really knew it had been helping!

My pain is "weird" it flares, it ebbs and flows, The SCS helps in some pains, totally ignores others. Does next to nothing for my knots in my back. You typed a post and mentioned you had been sitting longer than norm. If that alone is progress?

In a perfect world, we would not have any of these problems, it us up to each of us to decide in the end if what we are experiencing is enough. There is usually a better control and more coverage with the permanent. I know I can get coverage from my neck down on both sides of my body, clear to my toes from ONE precutaneous lead, ONE. The only place it really does not stimulate is my back along my spine. I can even "fake" a massage. Not in and of its self a reason to get a permanent, but when my PM hit that condition I begged him to leave it available to me :D

I hope the rest of your trial either gets or got better!
  • I am one of those that was very positional. I was positional during the trial but since the permanent placement stitched the leads in the positional was a little better. It wasn't what I call perfect until I had totally scared in. I am only positional in my foot. Don't need stimulation there but if I bend my leg at my knee more than 80 degrees I get a pleasant stimulation in my foot. Added bonus if you ask me. I wouldn't try to tell you what to do...but I think you may have over done in the days of your trial and that new pain is muscle pain. I am not a doctor so that is just my thought.
  • Thanks to everyone for the comments.

I think I can distinguish two types of pain. One type is the usual radicular pain along the medial line for L4/L5 impingement. The other type is the sore muscles from walking more than usual.

Unfortunately, the SCS does not seem to be reducing either type of pain. For two mornings in a row, I walked to the nearest Au Bon Pain, bought a Danish, and returned to my hotel room. First day was with stimulation, which I could feel throughout the walk. Second day, today, was with no stimulation. I gave my own rating to the usual radicular pain. Oops! With stimulation, the pain was a little greater than without stimulation. I am not saying that the stimulation worsened the pain. My condition might have been a little different (but not much). I just don't find the benefit in pain relief.

I am sitting here typing this, and the greater aggrevation is the back pain, which I don't usually have. I am hoping that will go away when the doc pulls this damn lead out of my back tomorrow.

According to the very nice medical assistant to my PM doctor, this general hospital (which will remain nameless) does six or eight SCS trials a week, and about 70% go on to permanent SCS implantation. I might fall into the 30% category.

• I had a failed trial stimulator a couple of months ago. During the trial, I rec'd no relief from my pain and by the time the trial was over, my pain had increased dramatically. My leads were pulled on the third day. I know the stimulation caused the increase in my pain. I don't know why...maybe the leads were placed wrong..who knows. My stimulator was a little different from the SCS. Mine was a PNS, where the leads were placed directly over my area of pain. Now my PM Dr wants to do another trial and use the SCS and place the leads directly into the epidural space and down to my area of pain, which is in the sacrum area. My insurance company doesn't want to approve this second trial, saying it is just experimental and not medically necessary.

I'm so sorry you haven't rec'd any relief from your pain and I know how very disappointing this is for you.
  • I am also very sorry that the stimulator isn't helping with your pain. That has to be really disappointing. Don't give up in searching for an answer to deal with your pain.
  • I have read several reports about implanting percutaneous leads sacrally with great success lately. Instead of going in from higher in the lumbar or low thoracic area the approach is (for the lack of a better explanation) from the "bottom up". Basically it's like getting a caudal epidural, only with an SCS lead instead.

Have you spoken with a rep about the possibility of gathering information that can be presented to your insurance company, showing that this approach isn't experimental anymore and is proven effective?

• Pain Management is working on getting the second trial approved for me...I don't know how long this usually takes. I've been told that my PM Dr has always gotten everyone approved.

Brothers...hope something works for you. Keep us posted.
  • It's to bad that it sounds like you crashed and burned with the stimulator. I still think you have something else going on. A lot of your problems sound similar to what I was dealing with 8 years ago when I ruptured my L5/S1 disc. I was recovering real nice, was sleeping well, but experiencing difficulties sitting, standing, and walking. Mind you, the difficulties were minor at best compared to what you are feeling. On my last day of PT, everything went to hell in a hand basket when a disc fragment severed some nerves and found a home in a very bad spot. Needless to say, I went from bad to worse in a matter of milliseconds. This fragment never showed up on an MRI or XRAY.

I'm concerned that your team might be missing something. For me, the scar tissue problem causes the pain to always be on. There is no reset but there is varying degrees of discomfort, much like a dimmer light switch. If I were you, I would seek out an independent consult to make sure that nothing is being missed here.

Hope your back goes back to normal after they pull the lead out.

• It's 3 days post trial, how's it going?

• I have paddle leads in the coccyxal area and it works wonders. My doctor has been doing them for several years with great success for many different types of pain.
  • Dave, thank you for your thoughtful comments. I have seen 21 doctors about my spine problem. Some have taken more time than others to look at my radiological images. I have explained the diagnosis from the more thorough doctors. My PM doc prescribed PT and Trileptal after pulling the lead. I will continue to pursue other options.
  • Dave, I am now one week post trial. The ANS rep was very disappointed with the outcome. She did her job well during the trial. She said -- on her way out the door -- that I was more knowledgeable about SCS than most patients. Yes, but no permanent implant means no sales commission.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine). I will try it after I get my affairs together. However, I will try Oxcarbazepine with trepidation as 24% of patients have adverse side effects, and some of them look very unpleasant. I will start a separate thread on that in a different forum.

The train trip back was more difficult than before the trial, due to a really annoying backache. Since returning home, my wife and I have been more than disappointed. Our hopes and dreams that I could return to a semi-normal life have been dashed. I am trapped in my house without the ability to drive anywhere. I cannot even drive to my local doctors, to the pharmacy or to physical therapy; I must rely on my wife for everything, and she is getting very tired.

We are in a downward spiral of dispair.
  • Sorry to hear you and your wife are bummed. I don't wanna kick a man when he is down, but you were out of line in your sarcasm aimed at Susan. Susan's point has some validity to it. An SCS works well against nerve pain generated from damaged nerves. On the flip side, I don't think it works well with with nerve pain from compressed nerves (mechanical nerve pain). I believe I experience both types of pain. The pain from the compressed nerves receives no relief from the SCS where all the other pain is serviced rather nicely. That is what I think Susan meant. She can correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you ever tried Savella? This was the last drug I tried and had I not suffered from its side effects, I would have found a drug that would have prevented me from getting an SCS. The drug is in the class of Cymbalta but is designed specifically for nerve pain and doesn't carry some of the Cymbalta baggage. Just thought I'd throw something else out there.

• Most people who have had an SCS trial have reported back pain for a day or two after the insertion of the lead. I referred to that as feeling that I must have been kicked by a mule.

Dave, you said the back pain from the lead went away after the lead was removed. How long after?

I have been annoyed by more back pain than usual after my SCS trial lead was removed. Last night I was awakened at 12:45am by an intense axial thoracic burning. 500mg of acetaminophen was not enough to reduce it, so I took another 500 mg at 4:30am, and that was enough for me to get another two hours of sleep.

I realize some spineys have back pain that keeps them from sleeping and cannot be reduced by acetaminophen. I have great compassion for these people.

However, in my case, before the SCS trial, while lying supine I was never awakened by back pain. Is this something that is going away over the next few weeks? Or do I have a new pain to stay with me in addition to the leg pain that SCS did not touch?

It has been 19 days since lead insertion and 12 days since lead removal.

I am worried that scar may be forming in my thoracic epidural space as a result of the irritation while the lead was in the spinal canal. Is that going to be a long term problem?

• I went from trial lead removal to permanent implant the next morning. I had the feeling of being hit between the shoulders with a baseball bat for about 2-3 weeks. The pain was tolerable with Tylenol and the worst part of it was resolved by day 3.

You might give the doc who did the trial a call and let him know of your continued pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

• I appreciate the concern about my situation.

However, I do not agree that one does not have Nerve Pain if it cannot be reduced significantly by Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS).

Nerve pain can come from damaged nerves, or from nerve impingement. According to my NS and my PM, I have the latter.

For example, I have pain in the leg after sitting.

Also recently, after driving my automobile 2.5 miles or five minutes, I got out and after walking 100 feet I had intense leg pain.

I call these examples nerve pain.

• It has now been one month since my SCS trial lead was removed. I have had significantly more back pain and backaches than before the trial. However, over the past week, I have been taking a low dose of tizanidine, which seems to ameliorate the back pain but not the radicular pain.