Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Felicia's TLIF looking very successful

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
I survived! I had a TLIF L5/S1 and removal of a severely arthritic joint performed on Oct 27. It took 3 1/2 hours to complete. Because of Cerebral Palsy, spasms after surgery were excruciating to say the least and took 5 - 6 days to get under control. I was in the hospital 4 days then in rehab center for 13 days. I got home 11/12.I got great help there. I got intentive PT and great overall medical care. The first week was hell on earth but once I turned the corner, I have made great progress. I have suffered some neuro problems which both my doctors and I hope are temporary; soreness and diminished sensation (not full numbness) in the left hip area and I am having urgency and badder retenion issues. Since it is still less than 3 weeks after surgery, it is hoped that once swelling subsides, these problems will too. Great news is that the surgery did get rid of all my original pain, throbbing, numbness and weakness. A true miracle indeed. I start 4 weeks of outpatient pt on Tuesday 3X a week. Even with the hopefully temporary problems, I have not felt this good in over 10 years and I am actually smiling again and have some energy. Friends say they have never seen me look this good. And of course my personality has made a 180 for the better. I have been in pain so long, no one has seen the real me! Yes the surgery hurts like hell and the spasms are horrible but the surgery is so worth it. It is going to take me quite a while toget back to normal 100% (in great part due to my disability). Just thought those of you I have chatted with would like an updated.

• Yeah Felicia! I'm so glad to hear this wonderful news. I hope the PT helps and you get to feeling even better. What a blessing it can be to be in the hands of a good surgeon, no? I'm happy for you.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • From reading your history, I can certainly tell you have had a mighty tough go of it yourself. Your surgeries have been rough. I sure hope this latest round of complications will resolve themselves. You certainly deserve some really good news yourself. Let's both concentrate on healing and recovering.

• Hi Felicia,

This is good news! Glad to hear you're at home and recovering well. Please continue to let us know how you're doing.

• Thanks for the well wishes. You've been here for me since I started on the boards. Sometimes miracles do happen. I am trying to be good and very careful. As I did over do on 11/10 while in rehab and the next morning my right lower leg and foot were numb like before surgery. Yes, I had a major meltdown, prayed like the dickens, then had an X-ray that showed no permanent damage. Just kicked up the swelling. Since God knows how hard headed I can be, he didn't slap me on the hand but punched me in the gut, terrifying me to make sure I got the message -- take it easy, be patient and let others do for you what you can't or shouldn't! Got the message loud and clear. Behaving now and up to 5 minutes at a time on my manual treadmill and up on my walker and haven't had to use my wheelchair yet. Taking plenty of naps between showers, popping meals in the micro and doing tiny chores. Outpatient PT starts tomorrow. Although slowly, thing should only improve from here. I owe it to God and a great OS!

• Good morning! You sound very positive, IMO this is essential to recovery. Sounds like you're coming along. Just take it slow (as you well know) and remember we're here for you.