Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

meet with the anesthesiologist

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi, hospital called the other day and said i have to meet with the anesthesiologist the day before my surgery.never had to with my other surgerys.makes me think something wrong.

• motelman99 said:
    hi, hospital called the other day and said i have to meet with the anesthesidogist the day before my surgery.never had to with my other surgerys.makes me think something wrong.
    Howdy Motelman!!!

If it is like my past Anesthesiologist, *and* you smoke, he/she wants to give you specific breathing tests. Didn't happen on my last surgeries either, but this last one, the Anesthesiologist wanted to "satisfy" himself (I guess chest x-rays didn't do it for him) that I wouldn't croak on the table connected with his meds... Take care. Let us know what he asks/does with ya!! :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • i'll let you know what he saids.
  • I have had 5 surgeries since my accident. Within 5 days of every single one I have had to go see.
    1. The referring doctor/surgeon, depending on what was being operated on.
    2. Have a complete blood workup.
    3. pee in a cup
    4. Bloodpressure and normal evaluation checkup.
    5. Meet with someone from Anesthetic dept at the hospital, usually NOT the same as the operating anesthitist, but, one that can sort out what meds I am taking, have stopped taking and can pinpoint any possible problem areas the operating room team may have to watch for.

I'm more surprised you have not met with one before surgery than the fact you are this time!
  • Be sure to tell your anesthesiologist to put plenty of antinausea meds in with the anesthesia. Mine used plenty during the surgery, but also put an antinausea patch on the back of my shoulder that lasted a couple of days.
  • I've had 6 surgeries (only 1 spine) and never talked to any of the anesthesiologist until a few minutes before going into surgery, but I know lots of people who have. I'm sure it's just the standard procedure for the surgeon/hospital you're going to.
  • thanks everyone,i feel better now.im very nervous about this surgery.
  • It was S.O.P. for my 2 surgeries to meet with the anesthesiologist before the surgery.
    Just routine questions and a time to get info to him.

I was told sleep apnea sufferers or those who snore should let them know about that.
    I just have mild occasional snoring and he said thanx for letting him know, should be no big deal but was good I told him.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I've had to go before each surgery I've ever had -- and it's been a bunch -- they like to go over absolutely every med you're taking (legal or non) they need to know everything so they can make sure they won't give you anything that will interact. They also need to know about asthma, sleep apnea, snoring, etc. It all makes a difference in how they manage your airway. With a spinal surgery, you're likely to be out for a very long time, so they need to be certain they can keep you breathing but out for an extended period. I wouldn't think it's anything to fear. Just an extra precaution.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Strangely enough, I didn't have any of that. No meeting the anaesthesiologist, no pre ops. The last time I met with my surgeon was 9 months previously. He didn't even have blood taken. I was admitted the night before so expected a raft of tests but none came. It was discombobulating to say the least. I asked about them, they checked and told me "none has been written up". I fully expected them to be done just prior to surgery the next morning. But I showered, was wheeled to the holding bay, given a tablet, went to sleep and that was it. X-rays were done in theatre so I must have been juggled around a lot.

I was given donor blood and donor bone so I guess blood tests were also carried out in theatre.

For all his laissez-faire attitude, I got a top job done. :)