Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just a quick Suggestion

Hi Fellow Spineys and Neckies,

I wasn't sure where to post this. For me, and probably others too, long posts with no breaks are very hard to read. Once I noticed this I have tried to put spaces throughout my posts.

Just a suggestion. I know if there is a long post without any breaks I start to lose concentration. If that happens, then maybe I won't be able to help, since I can't read all of the post.

• That is a really good suggestion. I would like to add that for me if there are too many smileys it also makes it very hard to concentrate on the post. It is just too much distraction for me.
  • I fully agree. I won't read any long post that doesn't have breaks, and just rambles on, often incoherently with spelling mistakes.
    Also smileys-what is the point of multiples?

It feels a bit rude to reply to those posts with this sort of comment when they may be in real pain or anguish, and a negative comment would just be too much.
    But they lose potential replies because of it.

Is there a polite way to suggest breaks, spell checks and shorter sentences?

New members won't read stickies on this, so it is going to reoccur all of the time.

Would be nice to have a standard post that a moderator could put in, saying something like:

We would love to be able to read and respond to your post, but the writing style that you have used is unfortunately a bit difficult to understand.
    Would you consider reposting it, applying a spell checker, and using shorter sentences with frequent breaks between them?
    Many forum members have limited time and ability to read and respond to hard-to-read posts, so if you make it easier to read you are much more likely to get responses.
    Please take this as a compassionate suggestion,and not a criticism.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Having breaks in posts make it so much easier to read. Ones that go on and on without any breaks becomes more difficult to read. I will admit that there are times when I see one of those, I never read the entire post.
    Smileys are be a two edged sword. There are times when its a good way to express yourself, but then there are times when each sentence contains one or two smileys, that to me is a bit of an overkill.

I think the message we would like to get across to new members:

1- Use breaks in your posts
    2- Refrain from using CAPS unless you want to make a point
    3- Limit the amount of smileys used

When I get back from vacation, I will look at making a more formal post like this and place it in Spine-Health Announcements
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i 100% agree with this.

I sadly find myself trying to read through a post where the sentences run all together and quickly find that I can no longer pay attention to the posts as it all blurs together in my brain.. :<
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • On spell checker.
    Mozilla will do this as you type.
    Some other forms of spell checkers have simply caused me to lose the post X(

There, only one smiley :D oops, two
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    It saves me so many times...
    BUT for grammar...

I here that their is times when while spell checkers work, they have no idea what you are really trying to say.
    Sow when we do mean to say one word, the checker validates us, but forget about the rest
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Having some reasonable grammar and spelling skills applied to your post does help.
  • You srue rghit fnnuy! Dno't froegt taht smoe of us hvae to raed tihs stfuf!

Me thinks I just crashed my Mozilla's spellchecker.
    it is asking for it's mommy.
  • Graham, you are right. I managed to read your whole post without a problem,(I can also read upsides down) but, that doesn't mean I want to do it all the time, I think my brain would sieze up and I would just babble incoherently.