Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My heart is singing

Faith MFFaith M Posts: 287
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Good News
Our band went to an open mic night on Saturday night and I sang in public for the first time. I did some singing at two parties in the past but this was the real deal! I had a BLAST! We've been playing in our basement for years(my husband is the drummer) and it was such a "rush" to be on stage for the 1st time. My husband asked for a drum set for Christmas every year for 14 years. Everyone said he'd never use it! I began to hoard and stash away any bit of extra money for next Christmas and if he asked again I would get it for him. Well, he asked for a drum set again. After shopping at the toy store for the kids I told him to make a left and go past the next road. He asked where we were going, and I said "To buy you a drum set"! It blew his mind. He had 2 lessons as a kid and picked it right back up, I was amazed. He plays by ear and he is fantastic, he really got to show his stuff on Saturday. HE is why I sing!!! We had such great feedback from everyone and apparantly we're going to be on U Tube. We were asked to return next month as the feature band! I guess we're finally out of the basement! This is a dream come true for my husband Dennis and I'm so happy to be along for the ride. We've been through so much together, he has been my rock. When the good times come we are grateful, and we cherish it. Good things do happen. I hope something good happens to all of you today.

Faith M

• Your story gave me goosebumps. My husband is also a drummer and has been for many, many years (he plays by ear also). Before I knew him, he was even in a band that opened up for Vince Gill and he saw Vince watching them play and tapping his foot.

Anyway, for many years he's been trying to find a venue to play in regularly, but he didn't want to play with a group that wanted to try and get famous. He just wants to play.

Finally, early this year, his boss asked him to come to their church and play his drums with the group that normally plays the music. In this particular church, music is the praise, so you sit for the prayer and stand for the music. So he went and the entire church so loved his playing with the group that he's invited to play any time he wants. He gets to practice on most Tuesdays and usually every other Saturday.

The point of this is that because he's been through so much with me and will have to put up with more, I'm so happy that he's finally found his little place to get away and enjoy life outside of his hurting wife. I often go and watch him play - and I'm not jealous of his groupies because generally, they're about 75 years old.

I'm so happy for you. It's like you and I are in a parallel, although I only sing with his music in my mind. What a great story - thanks for sharing!
  • Wrambler and Cath. Thank you for sharing with me Cath! I am also happy that my husband has a fulfilling hobbie and that we can leave the stress of my disability behind while we play. It feels good to be able to look forward to something and to have this new excitement in our lives! It's wonderful to see our men happy isn't it? I am also happy for you Cath, it sounds like your husband has found his "happy place" too! And that makes US happy.

Faith M
  • HI Faith :)

What wonderful news!!!!! I am so thrilled for you :D

PS: you tube is 1 of the few words you don't want to shorten into u tube. My hubby read u tube somewhere on line & went there and it is a "bad" =; site lol ;)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I appreciate your support! Thanks for letting me know about the you tube spelling. Sure wouldn't want to send anyone to the "bad" site. Yikes!

Faith M