Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness in little finger of one hand

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
Just recently I've noticed that the little finger and part of the ring finger of my left hand (I am left-handed, but use right hand for mouse on computer) have gone numb.

I am loosing feeling in the little finger and also the side of the hand. The rest of my arm seems OK.

I am wondering if it is a pinched ulnar nerve, or something else.

BTW, I have ankylosing spondylitis.

Could it be from resting my elbow on the desk? Or from something affecting the nerve in my neck or spine?

Ideas and suggestions welcomed - I lived far, far away from modern Western medical care.
advertisement

Comments

• happysheep said:
    Just recently I've noticed that the little finger and part of the ring finger of my left hand (I am left-handed, but use right hand for mouse on computer) have gone numb.

I am loosing feeling in the little finger and also the side of the hand. The rest of my arm seems OK.

I am wondering if it is a pinched ulnar nerve, or something else.

BTW, I have ankylosing spondylitis.

Could it be from resting my elbow on the desk? Or from something affecting the nerve in my neck or spine?

Ideas and suggestions welcomed - I lived far, far away from modern Western medical care.
    First off, greetings and welcome to the site!!! The numbing areas you describe are related to the Ulnar nerve. It could be getting compressed in the hand and wrist at what is called Guyon's Canal, or it could be at the elbow. Do you have a sensitive "tingling" at the elbow and below to the wrist?

You didn't state where the Spondylitis is at - level wise. But normally, and you can see this on a Dematome map - shows the areas affected by various nerve roots; the C8 (between the C7 & T1) also affect the Ulnar nerve. You should get with your doctor to see about testing for Guyon entrapment, Cubital Tunnel (the entrapment is at the elbow) or if it is in your shoulder or neck. Between an exam, EMG, and other diagnostic tests, your physician should be able to give you what the underlying problem is.

I've had my Ulnar transposed at the elbow and released in the wrist and hand. I am left handed as well, but my issues were all in the right arm. My nerve was too close to the surface in my hand and wrist, and compressed in the elbow. Good luck, let us know what you find out. Take care. :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.