Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New surgery date

RICKRRICK Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have my surgery date, Dec. 2nd with a new surgeon and it will be out of town. I have my first Dec. 8, 2008 when they went in the front of my neck and fused C4-6 with plate & cage. I found out last week after months of jumping through hoops of PT, pills, shots ect. that my plate is loose and I never did fuse which is why I am so much pain.
My new spine surgeon is going in the back of my neck and putting a plate from C4-T1 or T2 with bone graft from my hip and rods also. I am really scared having two spine surgery in one year but there is no other option due to my pain and my neck is very unstable. He told me I have a 50% of pain improvement to a c+ or a B- I choose the look at this as the cup being half full and pray for the best results, what I am rally praying for is my doctor care and skills.
I will be 60 on Nov. 18th and 18 months ago I was in good health, I can't believe how one's life can change so quick, we really should enjoy each day for we never know what may happen tomorrow.

• Well, here you go again. Another surgery. I'm sorry that you have to get this done. I totally understand, as I may have to have relatively the same thing done in the future.

Knowing you need another surgery is so disheartening, but I'm glad that you've chosen the optimistic attitude. What else can you do? I believe that a good attitude can really help the recovery process.

I think that the posterior cervical surgery is probably going to be a harder that the anterior method, so be sure to keep up on your meds and follow doctor's orders.

Good luck, Rick and please be sure to keep us posted.
  • I could only imagine how hard having a second surgery so soon must be hard to take!. I wonder why they didn't see your fusing problem on your post opp visits I thought they take x rays to see your progress?. I wish you good luck with this problem and I hope your pain goes away!
  • I had x-rays for months after my surgery for just that reason. And I'm looking at another surgery, too, I think.

As far as the posterior approach is concerned, I read before my anterior approach that the posterior is actually easier on the patient; the reason it's not as common is that there is slightly more risk through the necessity of working around the spinal cord. I am a little surprised that you're doing a bone graft instead of cadaver bone, given that the additional procedure is just that and I'm told moderately painful.

But that's why they have options, isn't it. Best of luck with your new surgery, and sending good thoughts on pain relief.

• How can life change so drastically in a split second? And somehow it never seems to change for the better in that split second.... better usually takes months, years and lots of hard work.

Rick I hope your surgery goes well. We all know the risks when we choose these procedures and I am sure you are making the right decision for you. Hopefully the healing will go better this time.

Keep us posted.
  • Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I can certainly understand your concerns and fears. I had three cervical surgeries in less than a year and it does take a lot out of you. I will not lie the posterior approach is much harder on you as far as recovery. The hardest part was the muscles spasms. I am not sure where Titan read that but anyone and everyone I have discussed surgery with will tell you the posterior approach is a bit more to recover from as they need to cut through the muscle to get in. I also used my hip bone since they are doing posterior more than likely they will take from the back which that is not as bad as from the front on the hip incisions. I have gone through using my bone twice both anterior and posterior and total of 5 surgeries so i understand your concerns. Try to remain as positive as possible that you will be feeling better soon and be out of some of this pain. If I can do anything please don't hesitate to pm me. Take care