Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica increasing overall leg weakness..

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
A little bit about myself

I'm a 39YO Male and have had burning pain in my left and right hips on and off for couple of years.

In January, the pain got pretty bad when I would walk for more than an hour at a time, but seemed mostly manageable.

In July of this year I started getting a burning pain at L5S1, mostly at left of center, sometimes at right of center.

Cannot sit for more than 20-30 minutes at a time.

Late july, a dull pain moved to my left leg and I would get tingling down the back of my leg and all the way to the arch of my foot.

Had xrays and MRI done in August, L5S1 broad based/left paracentral bulge (5mm) compressing the L5S1 nerve w/ mild foraminal narrowing.

Been through 2 rounds of epidurals.

1st round, (injections done at left of center and center) the leg pain was gone and the burning pain shifted all the way to the right. Total pain relief <5 days

2nd round, (injection done center), burning pain gone, leg pain gone. Total pain relief <5 days.

Been on anti inflammatory medications since Aug.

Tried PT in Aug, it irritated the situation so badly that I didn't go back until October.

At this point the off center back pain/burning is there at least 70% of the time or more.. the left leg is involved

I used to be able to stand or lay down and it would provide some relief. But not so much any more.

The last few weekends, I couldn't stand for more than 15 minutes w/o my left leg starting to throb with that familiar dull burning pain. <-- This was new.

Have been back to PT starting in Mid/Late October. 2st visit (w/ Piriformis stretching exercises) left me bedridden with the most severe leg pain/cramping and twitching I've ever had for hours.

Have done 2 weeks w/o exercise, just electric stim, heat and massage. Hasn't helped too much.

Have been working on my lower back muscles over the last week or so and that has helped increase my endurance for sitting, but has done nothing for my legs.

Over the last month, it seems my legs have been getting weaker.. it's hard to explain, but my legs have always been the strongest part of my body.

In the last couple of weeks, I keep feeling pain on and off like I'd normally feel after working my legs out.. kind of a lactic acid build up type of pain.

I didn't think much of initially, but when I tried to walk for over 15-20 minutes on flat ground, I quickly realized my legs feel really weak and after about 5 minutes, I get a nerve burning type pain and my legs feel even weaker.

I'm pretty upset about this because being able to walk without issue was my saving grace and I'm terrified this may not be the case for much longer.

I've been planning on getting an L5S1 microD done in the next couple of weeks for leg pain.. I suppose this is all the more reason to do so.

This is all so depressing..

• Hello and Welcome,

I am sorry for all your pain and hope you get pain free and your life back. Your situation sounds familiar to me atleast what you have been through since about August.

I am a bit confused though from your post as it seems by the end that you are improving or not as bad as earlier in the year.

Does your doctor recommend the surgery? What type of PT have you tried? Have you tried some of the therapy on this website? What meds are you on?