Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Bright Side

marks107mmarks107 Posts: 89
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello my friends, I know we're all in pain every second of everyday.It's really easy to think how bad things are,I know I've been in pain almost half my life.But I've learned,no matter how bad I feel everyday that if I try to laugh and try to make other people laugh I really do feel better.Don't get me wrong,some days all I really want to do is cry,but that won't make me feel any better.I thank my lucky stars everyday for pain meds but I also thank my stars for all the wonderful things in life.I know I will be in pain for the rest of my life sdo I try to make the best of things.Just thought I would let you all know things could always be worse.I'll keep praying everyday for you all.Yall have made me feel better just seeing how you all help each other everyday!!!Peace and love to you all! Mark

• That old section of the Reader's Digest wasn't just kidding: Laughter IS the Best Medicine. Most of the time if you can't laugh, you will cry. And, there are days when I feel really sorry for myself, I will run into someone in a wheelchair or see someone with obviously deformed legs who is still up and walking under their own power, and I think to myself -- is my situation REALLY that bad? Shouldn't I be grateful for what I DO have? It's all relative. We do the best we can with what we've been given. All the best to you,

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • It is of added help to know your not alone in the chronic pain also. That's why I try to share by telling my family the worst possible jokes I can think of. Try it, it makes you feel better to see the suffering on their faces for a change.
    Take care.
  • That's funny Mike,I'll have to give that a try.I may need you to share some of those jokes.Have a good day everyone. Mark
  • Thanks for the post. I tend to get down too and today I was glad to read your post as a reminder of all that I do have. For us spineys, it becomes easy for us to focus on what's wrong, not what's right, and that's a very dangerous road to take.

Anyone with chronic pain is at risk of depression, so it's important to try and keep the glass half full.

However, I do find that a good, big ol' cry once in a while tends to release those little demons that build up inside over time. Screaming into a pillow helps too.

• I totally agree Cath,sometime we have to,I know i do it and we probably all do.Hope you're having a good pain day! Mark
  • Mark,
    Seeing the beautiful things in life is down to us and in not letting the pain that consumes you dominate you perspective, a developed skill and gifted talent, in can all be too easy to look with continued emphasis on the past and hope of improvement. Being sad does not help with pain and although the real me is just behind that game face of unimaginable pain, those around and supporting me should be encouraged that I will present a positive outlook even when in the persona of despair through pain.

Mark, you are a shinning example of how we should try to do our best every day and see those aspect of life that to us are important, gone are the normal acquisitions of society, we should be measured in how we survive and enable ourselves as most of this goes unnoticed and unacknowledged. If they only knew what effort every day takes our Oscar would be in the mail, I am my best supporting actor. Pain is constantly within me and I do everything in my power not to let it show and even if you asked me, I may deny it.

Our private life is the real us it goes unseen and climb our own mountain every day, only to wake at base camp and start again, I once read that it take equal effort to be miserable, so use that capacity to be as positive as you can, we all have bad days, weeks or years.

The key is not to make a drama of everything and make living possible, live with the pain and with a small a, accept the realistic limitations we have every single day. Surviving continual pain maybe about being unrealistically positive in the presentation of ourselves, what other option do we have, I am stoically proud of my achievement, I know I have pain and do well in continuing to survive this existence not of my making, with a hand of support and encouragement.

Half full is just a tweak, a state of mind, it is within in us all, Pm does not create it just illuminates what we already had.

When my son was in a coma I cried sideways, I search every day for life itself and the good things.

Take care, John. =D>

This discussion has been closed.