Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has chiropractor &/or accupuncture helped?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi folks.....

I have Lumbar S.S.,& am thinking of trying a Chiropractor and Accupuncture.....Has anyone out there had experience with them....I would like to get some in-put from you as to your experiences...

thank you....Allan2

• Hi Allan,

I haven't tried either, but know that others on the site have tried acupuncture. However I've read that chiropractic methods can actually make things worse!

Someone with personal experience of one or the other will undoubtedly be able to provide you with better help and advice.

Good luck with the road ahead!

• I have had many rounds of acupuncture and although the relief is initially only temporary, after multiple visits it can provide longer term relief.

It does not cure mechanical problems, but can assist your body in the natural healing process.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• Allen,

Welcome to the Spine Health Site!!!! I have not had acupuncture, but have had chiropractic adjustments. Once they found hernia issues (he discovered the first one actually!!!), he did not manipulate that area for fear of increasing the damage.

My Neurosurgeon is "pro" chiropractor - but not on any area of the spine that has been operated on or especially fused!!! The same restriction he applies to physical therapy. Hope that helps. Take care. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Allan,

When I had sciatic pain 12 years ago, one treatment of acupuncture helped. At that time, the OS I visited advised me to do home exercises and yoga, all helped. Twelve years later my problems got much worse. Nothing helped (exercises, acupuncture), after having an MRI, the same OS whom I saw 12 years ago told me that I now have severe spinal stenosis and spondy and just run out of options. He advised that in order to avoid irreversable problems, I should consider surgery (fusion) very seriously. I followed his advise, last year I had the surgery and I have not regretted it for a moment.

So to answer your question, acupuncture may help at a certain stage of your sciatica (depending on what is causing it) but not necessarily at a later stage. At this point, I would not let a chiropractor touch my back with a 10-foot pole.

• I was very nervous about seeing a Chiropractor as I had been diagnosed with spondylolisthesis which made my spine unstable. My husband's osteo had said she wouldn't treat me. The Chiro that I've used was recommended by two other people, one of whom had had 2 spinal surgeries before treatment. He uses a hand held device called an Activator which is gentle. I have definately got relief of my sciatic symptoms since I have been going. I would say though, that I have to keep going. I am considering trying acupuncture to see if that helps. I think that with either method, any benefit will be temporary in my case as I have an architectual problem with my spine.