Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sitting during a EMG test

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone asked to sit during the emg test for cervical testing? Just wondering if it is possible to ask.

• I did not ask to sit during the test was actually told to lay down but it would not hurt to ask the doctor when you go ! Best of luck Patti...

• I had to lay down for my cervical emg (all negative). It was aweful the doctor kept moving the huge needle around trying to get a clear reading. I felt worse after we finished then before we started.

Then I was lucky enough to have him try to sell me to come back for injections and traction.

• My neurologist on both of my EMG's had me directly between "sitting and laying down" about 45 degrees actually...these where both for cervical issues.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Mine was sitting and I feel the results were inaccurate.
  • Did mine lying flat; oh YES, you've got carpal tunnel. Hah. Please tell me how you can get a repetitive stress injury to a limb that you use for BALLAST? I am so profoundly right handed that when I was a smoker, I couldn't even smoke a cigarette with my left hand, but by cracky, they were quick to diagnose bilateral carpal tunnel when they did my EMG. Of course, he started at my hand and once he got the result he wanted, he stopped with the test. To borrow from my son - scheiss!

• Since I have to have another EMG, first since my neck surgery, should I request standing so that I hurt like crud like I normally do? It seems that if I lay down and feel well, the results will be lame.

Hey, Baffled, is that why you started this post and why you're asking us?
  • that makes me think, laying is the best possible position for me....and i am of the thinking that the sitting, standing put more pressure than the laying down.

my last emg, showed carpel tunnel....or whatever. but had surgery back in 05 and 06 - and i can tell you that i have no reidual effects from the surgery or any symptoms aince then. I had to wiat until the kids could dress themselves....so i had to wait, but man, i think to myself, why did i wait...it has been perfect since they did the surgery.

Presently, i have alot of pain down the left arm into the top of my left thumb...i'm thinking they are going to attribute this to c.t. - but who knows.

Why don't they put us in positions that give us the aggravation. I don't wish to be falsly 'comfortable'

thanks guys