Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

puffyness on the top of incesion

mike 29mmike 29 Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am almost 1 month post op. and for the last two day my incesion at the top has been puffed up has this happen to any one else and what did you do.

• It could be like what I had which is an irritation from an internal suture.Although mine started earlier so my unhealed wound has leaked for three weeks! Probably you should ask your nurse or doc to be on the safe side??
  • When I had my double fusion, about a month later it swelled and started weeping. I immediately showed it to Dr and he tested for infection which was negative. We watched it for a few weeks and decided something in the layers was not happy. Eventually, had a plastic surgeon go in and clean it all out and resuture it back together. Had to do that one more time and still never any infection. Skin just did not want to heal around a final suture. After second minor surgery on it, it finally healed.
    So my opinion is that you should go ahead and just let them look. You don't want any setbacks or cleanup surgeries. I feel that the quicker it's looked into, the better off you'll be.
  • I agree that you should call your surgeon's office. Everyone is really worried about infection and it certainly is nothing to take casually...so, be on the safe side, and give them a call.
  • I agree that you should be asking this to your doctor, infection is not something you want to mess around with.

If you can't get into your doctor or something, posting a picture of it would help us in giving you advice. Is it painful? Red? Hot to the touch?
  • Call the doc - especially if it is warm to the touch or pink. Could be an infection.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • thank you for everyones comments. I went and seen the doc and he said that it was puff from the sucture under the skin.
  • Better to be safe than sorry. See the thread that Tready started when he had a swelling under his incision. Yipes!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had to go back and have mine drained,which was very painful-always call the doc and have it looked at