Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WARNING
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval
ATTENTION: All NEW MEMBERS
1) Your first discussion or comment needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

Discectomy and disc height

Justin66JJustin66 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was wondering, anyone that has had a discectomy and an MRI post-op how much disc height were you left with? Just wondering what the average post-op disc height is. My disc looks to be half the height of the rest of my spine.
advertisement

Comments

• it's common for them to measure this. Your annulus (ring around the disc) will generally maintain most of your disc height unless it is too damages. If you watch some of the fusion procedures, you can see they usually leave some annulus in to contain the bone grafts. So, it will depend on whether your annulus is damaged, how thick that particular disc is in the average human body, how thick it was originally in your body (does anyone know), etc.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Since ive had surgery I have just wondered how much disc height I lost. I started thinking since the disc is shorter the vetabrae openings for my l4/5 nerves have been narrowed. Im just worrying about the unknown. I thought about getting my pre-op MRI, I already have a copy of my post-op MRI. I thought I would compare the two for my own obsessive compulsion of constantly reading back surgery related info HA.
  • Justin66 said:
    I was wondering, anyone that has had a discectomy and an MRI post-op how much disc height were you left with? Just wondering what the average post-op disc height is. My disc looks to be half the height of the rest of my spine.
    Humm....The first thing I remember as I came out of the happy juice after surgery was "Hi you are 1mm taller than before surgery!" Now...I have gotten a copy of both of my surgical notes. They put a 10mm graph in my C5/6, and a 7mm graph in my C6/7...dunno. But personally, I am still 5'3"!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • pictures of before and after, perhaps your doc can measure them for you and tell you. I didn't think about that.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
advertisement