Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two great surgeons, how do I select.

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've now met with both of the surgeons that are candidates to perform my MicroD.

Surgeon 1 is the chief of neurosurgery + orthopedic spine surgery at a major Los Angeles teaching hospital ranked in the top ten by Us News & World report. He has an amazing CV and reputation. He answered all of my questions, will perform more or less the same surgery as physician #2 and feels extremely confident he can get this resolved relatively easily.

Surgeon 2 is a well respected surgeon at our local private hospital which is ranked in the mid 20s FWIW. I really like him and he has been incredibly patient and taken time to answer ALL of my questions. I think we were not on the same page for a few weeks, but that's improved tremendously in our last couple of meetings. He explained in detail what he was going to do, how he was going to do it and why.

They both do around 100 or so MicroD's a year.

So now comes the tough part.. how do I pick between two great choices??

• The only other real difference I can think of, is at the teaching hospital, my surgeon doesn't 'open and close', that's left up to the fellowship surgeons.
  • If you ended up having a long-term relationship with one of these surgeons, (ie, you need more surgery in the future) do you prefer the atmosphere of one office over the other? Think about things like trying to get in touch with the doctor, getting prescriptions renewed, timeliness for appointments,...you know, the things that matter to YOU.

It is a very personal decision. I almost went to a large university hospital in my state. I liked the surgeon very much, but I didn't like the "big clinic" feel to the place. I could see that if I placed a call, I would never know who I was speaking with, etc. But things like this aren't important to many people. Also, it was about 80 minutes away from me, and I decided I was the kind of patient that would be going in more often than just the two post-operative check-ups, and I didn't always want to have to drive that far.

So think about things like that. It sounds like either would be a good choice.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Gwennie makes a good point. I had a great neck surgeon but after the surgery he seemed "done" with me. My new orthopedic spine surgeon is very patient, listens and answers all my questions. I could see having a longer term interaction with him.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos