Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 Week Checkup

lilac100llilac100 Posts: 180
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My checkup for my fusion went really well. The bone is growing well no where near fused but it is in the process of fusing. I'm allowed to do what I want now, within reason. I start physical therapy next week for core strength and work conditioning. I'm not allowed to go back to work yet because I have a really hard physical job that requires repeatative lifting. My next appointment is on New Year's Eve. I've still got some right sided pain, but it isn't anywhere near what it was.

• I'm glad to hear you're beginning to fuse (it can take quite a while for full fusion). I can't imagine returning to a job that requires a lot of lifting after a fusion, but your doc can advise you best on that. At least you have till after New Year's to deal with it.

All the best,
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • That is good news at 6 weeks. Even though you have had a good report remember to always be concious of your back. I'm almost 4 months out from multi-level fusion with good fusion starting already and have been working hard at PT and on my own at the gym (tread mill and light weights) to build back strength. I am still not back to work teaching (return Jan. 4th) as the surgeon said he didn't want me to undo all the progress I have made by being on my feet and bending over student's desks for 8 hours at a time. Most days I am pretty good but can wind up miserable when I over do it, so I am glad I can take a little while longer before I go back. Keep walking, I know you are walking, and take care of your back. I'm with Linda - can't imagine returning to a lifting job after fusion although I know that people do. Congrats on your success so far.
  • Congrats on the good news! I bet it was a relief to hear that things are going so well. :)
  • It was great hearing I was fusing. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I hope everyone has painfree days soon.