Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 months

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Just had my 6 month followup and all seems well with the SCS.

I got a new program that combines my old two so I get better coverage. Still not using it, I want to wait till I am not so busy at work. I guess, this isn't really work, :?

I have to say, I am somewhat confused. In the great bike wreck of '06 I fractured T3,T4,T5. Now whenever I attempt to lift anything over about 30-40 pounds I get what feels like a knot of pain in that area. Spasms, etc. I talked to the PM about that and he suggested I need to see an occupational doctor... I needed medical management papers to turn in at work, so I took my job description in and showed it to the PM with the questionable things highlited. He agreed that I should not be doing some of the things on the description. He agreed that some of the reasons are to perserve the integrity of the lead and others because of danger to others.

Even though he agreed that the SCS precluded me from some items on the job description and that the SCS is a fairly permanent thing. He would not check off on whether I have permanent or temporary restrictions!

I knew, well I feared this would go this way, but until I went in to talk to him, how could I proceed? Since my med management papers are "incomplete" I expect Human Resources to not be happy. Technically I should not come back to work after today until we have an agreement. But, I will be here unless someone specifically tells me NO. My boss is on vacation till the 30th, he does not care anyway. One of the people I communicate with in HR is on vacation. The other two I expect will be to "busy" to bother with trivialities, So, I guess I can keep working safely till at least the end of the month.

What I expect to happen is HR will require I be tested as to what I can and can't do. At least if they require it, they will pay for it. Will they let me keep working?

To say I am a little stressed out would be an understatement. Would it have been so hard for the PM to just give me a direct answer? I asked him, should I be working 70' in the air with 40lb bricks of steel, over peoples heads? He of course said no. He tells me, "do what you feel like" I ask a question, he says, "oh don't do that"....

I'd post more, but I'm just to confused at this point.

• I've read this post at least 3 times and I'm confused also but that's probably all the drugs I have in my system right now. What do you do for a living? It sounds pretty squirly when you're Doc won't commit to anything. Maybe he just doesn't want to put his John Hancock to anything. Next time, ask him to sign it as Mickey Mouse and see what he does. Just kidding.

• I like to give doctors the benefit of the doubt...could it be he didn't want to say that these were permanent because it might keep you from staying employed? Could it be he didn't want to say yes and something happen and someone come after him? I think I would just joke and tell him...hey doc...you want to get paid right? Well for me to be able to keep insurance and pay you I need these papers filled out...otherwise I am out of a job. He/She might laugh but know you are serious. I hope you get this figured out.
  • it is a pretty confusing post!

I am attempting to block all worry about this out of me head.

Dave, what I am or was is a Theatre technician/stagehand.
    My job description includes fun lines like.

"Must be able to work in cramped confined places, heights up to and above 80', lift weights in excess of 75lbs, repair and operate theatre rigging gear", etc, etc.

I'm no less confused today...
    I have tried to express my thoughts about a dozen times, I just can't get it together today. I think my attempt to block the whole mess out is failing.
  • You are in a pickle arent you? No wonder you are stressed. Anyone would be given the situation you are in.
    I am not saying this to upset you even more....just saying I understand. You can't get a clear answer to wheather your restrictions are permanent or not. I too, would continue working safe until someone tells me NO.
    Best of luck to you. And I hope you get things cleared up soon.
    Patsy W
  • I talked to Human resources yesterday. The lady used to work in the medical field and is somewhat knowledgable in SCS, so she to is confused by the PMs lack of actually stating things. I could tell from talking to her she has not even bothered to pull my job description to see what it entails.

So, at this point, I am waiting for the HR representative to talk to her boss about my case. Then she will let me know what they think we need to do next.

My boss is confused as No ONE from Human Resources has ever contacted him at all.

So for now, I go on doing not much of anything and getting paid, sounds great, but in reality it sucks.

I have been trying to sleep with the SCS on as suggested by my PM, that sucks too!
  • In a galaxy far, far away (Pennsylvania actually)There was born a toe headed youth with distinct proclivity towards Bipolar type II Depression.

When he got older he decided to get in shape, lost 45lbs and started to ride bikes with his young sons, who wanted to ride bikes in the woods.

One day while riding in the woods with his sons, the wicked woods fairy pushed him into tall grass where the evil elves of yesteryear grabbed the front wheel of his bile, flipping him over the handle bars.

The rest of the story is long and full of pain and anguish. To this day the now middle aged man is bothered by the elves and wood fairies...They keep him awake at night, whispering in his ear. Let's go for a bike ride, it will be ok, honest...
  • I can only imagine how frustrated you must be having seemingly no control over such an important part of life. Doctors are so unwilling to make a straighforward statement, I'm convinced they would all make great politicians. (There are exceptions, of course.) You should read this letter I just got from the neurosurgeon; he sounds like Tevia in Fiddler on the Roof-----"On the one hand.....but on the other hand."

Hey, Wrambler, you could use the time at work to start your novel. You know I'd buy it. Make it about a bunch of spineys. Your job sounds like it really could be fun. Susan