Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need some suggestions

tweetybird716ttweetybird716 Posts: 106
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hi everyone,
I found out today I no longer have insurance and I do not know where to go for help or even if anyone could help me.I had been on a leave of abscence and they called today to tell me I was terminated because I was out for to Long and I would have to pay 800. a month for insurance, I have no income at this point. So basically I will no longer have insurance after friday.

• for Social Security Disability, and you get approved, you automatically get Medicare. Have you applied yet?

I have also seen commercials for insurance that is advertised for around $30 a month. And the commercial specifically stated that it allows for pre-existing conditions. I didn't catch the name of the company, but perhaps you can Google it.

I am so sorry. I don't understand how they could let you go, unless you maxed out your FMLA?

Hang in there. I know it's hard. :(

• I am so sorry this has happened to you.

The insurance that caityc spoke of I would look into VERY carefully. I called 1 that I seen on TV and they CLAIM to be insurance but they are NOT! They are a members club that allows DISCOUNTS for your med bills. Be careful in case this is the same thing.

I too was in your position and went to the ( GULP ) Welfare Office and they were a life saver for me!

Now that I am working again ( just calls and paper work now lol ) I do pay for my insurance but I pay 28.00 a month! :) and it pays 100% of everything.

Go and see what they may have for you. I am under a plan called MAWD - it is for working people. You have to work 40 hrs monthly. I know you are not working right now - but I am just telling you about this one as an example of what they have that many of us don't know about.

Please let us know how things work out for you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If your employment was terminated you should be eligible for the reduced COBRA amount for 9 months (COBRA Continuation Coverage Assistance - details on www.dol.gov). So call your employer back and tell them "if you've terminated my employment then I'd be eligible for the COBRA Reduction Act. So please send me the appropriate adjusted paperwork". This reduces your cost to around 35% of what you'd otherwise pay for 9 months so possibly $280 if $800 is the full amount.

Also, if you are married seek to get on your spouse/partners insurance right away.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thanks for all of the advice and I will look into several of these starting with my place of employment, I did not think they could let you go if you were on a medical leave but I was wrong.So I will call them monday and see what can be done. Thanks again for your help, I am so glad that you are here, if I did not have you spineys to talk to I would probably be in the Looney bin, LOL.
  • terminated while on medical leave and am sorry that it happened to you. If you have no income and are unable to work I would contact Social Security and apply for SSI. It is different from regular SSD and is for low income individuals. Also you may qualify for medicaid which you could find out about through the county that you live in. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I don't know if this applies to you, but when I was let go due to my disablity. My insurance was good for 1 more month without paying. See we had to pay in a month before insurance kicked in, so when we left we had another month of insurance. This might help you, while you look into options.
    I hope this might help,
    Bobbi Jo
  • I'm mainly referring to caityc's post about SSDI. I had to wait two years to be eligible for medicare after SSDI approval. Have the rules on this changed? I know they were trying to get this changed.

Agree with J.J. Grey's post about SSI. If you feel you will not be returning to work and can not be retrained in another type of employment, you should apply for SSI and/or SSDI immediately to get the ball rolling.

Glad to see that you got some great responses!

Your spiney pal,

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Medicare kicks in two years from the date your SS benefits began (the initial benefit begin date regardless of when you actually got back pay, etc). So if SS was approved today with an effective date of 5/8/08 then Medicare would start 5/8/10. There are a few conditions (like end stage renal disease) where medicare can kick in earlier.

And it's legal for an employer to terminate employment even if you are on medical leave. If you are eligible for FMLA you must exhaust FMLA before your job can be terminated. FMLA is generally 12 weeks (some longer based on state rules or company guidelines). If someone is not eligible for FMLA then an employer can let the person go at any time if the employee is out on leave. I was out on STD when I was laid off (my position would have been eliminated whether I was there or not).

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • For me, I was approved Oct. 30 of this year. I was deemed disabled going back to June 07, when I quit working. I am eligible for benefits starting Dec 07, so next month I am getting Medicare because it's been 2 years.

How long have you been off work? If you get approved, and if you quit working say, in January 09, your benefits will start July 09, so you will be eligible for Medicare in July of 2011.

I hope it all works out for you!