Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have experience with Acupuncture

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Alternative Treatments
Has anyone had success in treating pain with acupuncture?
After an MVA in 2006, I've tried PT, Chiro, Pain meds and injections for thoracic pain (T7-8). I saw a spine surgeon for the first time today who told me my only option was a thoracotomy. YIKES! So! I'm looking for alternative pain relief options (or some other minimally invasive treatment option). Thanks!

• I haven't tried accupuncture myself and is about one of the only things I haven't tried. I've heard of others have positive results from this as well as it doing nothing. It wouldn't hurt to try it and see if it helps. It's better than going through surgery and you don't have to second guess....what if I tried accupuncture and it worked and I didn't need the surgery.

Let me know how you make out if you decide to do it. It's something I've thought about but never looked into it. I don't even know if my insurance would cover it.

Anything you can do to prolong surgery and still be comfortable is the way to go in my opinion.
  • I've had acupuncture and think it is awesome. It does take more than just one visit before it begins to provide long lasting relief, but it is a viable pain management option.

• Thanks guys! I really appreciate your perspectives. :)

C- I love love love your dolly parton quote!! :)

Michelle- I'll definitely keep you updated about acupuncture results! At this point, I'm willing to try anything!

Have a fantastic week friends!
  • ... and expensive.

I had 6 visits with no real useful relief. I would leave and go home. Be sore and sleep a couple of hours. Then I felt ok for a day or so. Then the pain came back. It was $100/session. Absolutely not worth it for me.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    For me, it was treatment for my Cervical, Thoracic and Lumbar areas.
    For a while, I was going weekly (about 16 straight weeks) to address some Thoracic problems.
    My initial treatments did not seem to make much of a difference. While the treatments was goind on, it felt great. My sessions also included electrical stimulation along with the acupuncture and also heat lamps.
    It took about 3 weeks before I started to see better results.
    But the biggest negative for me, was that the 'relief' was not long lasting. Even after 10 straight weeks, the good feeling lasted only several days.
    My Insurance provider also did not cover these treatments and at $105 each session, it was all out of pocket. So, I decided to stop acupuncture.
    I have never heard of bad effects of acupuncture. It is worth a try.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Not only have I had phenomenal personal experience from medical acupuncture, but I perform it in my office.

For the highest chance of success; find a NCCAOM Board Certified practitioner or physician who practices acupuncture.
    (Key word: NCCAOM)

There are people out there who practice with little or no formal training or Board Certification. These people may not know what they are doing. It is very important for you to ask and see their NCCAOM (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine) Certificate. Also, keep in mind... just because it didn't work for you with one practitioner, does Not mean it does not work. Each clinican performs it differently, uses different points, ect. That is why it is very important to find a qualified clinician. Most major medical insurances are now covering if it is performed at a Physicians office.

I work at a Pain Management practice where we do everything from pain medication therapy, spinal injections, trigger point injections, spinal cord stimulators, EMGS, to Integrative Medicine.

I have seen every type of pain syndrome related to the back and there have been very few I cannot treat using either medical acupuncture, ultrasound, Percutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, neuromuscular or Neuromodulation therapy, and so forth.

The most important thing is to realize it most likely has taken your body a long time to get to the place it is in right now, so it may take some time to get back to a place where you are pain free or at least pain tolerable. Be patient. Avoiding back surgery should be at the top of everyone's 'To Do' list. Surgery is usually not a cure all. After time the area above and below the fusion will degenerate and you will be faced with subsequent surgeries or a life of pain and narcotics.

Medical Acupuncture can help by placing the needles in very specific areas of the body that are scientifically proven to release neurochemicals in the body for pain relief. It is also used to increase vasodilatation and decrease the inflammation that causes pain. The specific points can be used to treat damaged nerves and elicit regeneration of damaged tissues.

I hope this answers some questions! Keep in mind, in order to find results; you want to find a Board Certified (NCCAOM) practitioner.
  • sarahj said:
    Has anyone had success in treating pain with acupuncture?
    After an MVA in 2006, I've tried PT, Chiro, Pain meds and injections for thoracic pain (T7-8). I saw a spine surgeon for the first time today who told me my only option was a thoracotomy. YIKES! So! I'm looking for alternative pain relief options (or some other minimally invasive treatment option). Thanks!
    There is newly released technology that is compatible to acupuncture. A physicist developed computer chips that produce the same vibrations that work with your body's meridian. You can research information about it through www.ReliefWithNoDrugs.com.

If you need more information, send me a pm with your email and I will get more details to you.
  • When I receive any profession that is termed alternative, I simply have the mindset that I am doing it for my overall well being.

However, when I was 17 I shattered my wrist, ended up with compartment syndrome, an external fixator, and the beginnings of reflex sympathetic dystrophy(brain doesn't turn off the pain.)

At 19, I had chronic pain in that arm. I went and saw a great philosophical acupuncturist, she explained the concept of chi etc...and didn't think too much of it. She did her thing, and it turned the pain off. According to her explanation my meridians were blocked etc, and I was helped. That was fine with me. She did a great job.

Understanding the seriousness of surgery, it is definitely worth a try in my opinion.

Best of luck.
  • i had great experience with acupuncture treatment.i used to take treatment for weight loss.its given me an outstanding result.I agree that early on (3-4 weeks) acupuncture for weight loss is safe. But beyond 4 weeks, no conclusion can be made.i have got relief within 4 weeks.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc