Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in lower back/spine

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Lower Back Pain
Greetings. I'm new and seeking some wisdom. I'm a 24 year old male. I hurt my back on a camping trip in June. No specific trauma that I recall, just a long day of strenuous activity and then woke up with bad lower back pain. Well, 5 months have gone by and it still hasn't gotten much better, but definitely not any worse. I haven't seen a doctor because I don't really want pain medications, and was making an assumption that it would heal on its own in time.

Here's a detailed description:
Persistent stiffness in lower spine.
Sharp pain in lower spine when going from sitting to standing position and difficult to bend over (perhaps a 4/10 to rate pain).
Muscle tension/dull pain on left side of back higher up, below rib cage.
Sharp pain in right hip.
On days following any sort of physical activity that may involve back, pain jumps to a steady 6/10 and all above symptoms are amplified, most noticeably persistent sharp pain in lower spine.

I've never had any back issues before that day. I'm wondering if there's any chance I will have a full recovery if I continue just waiting it out, or am I absolutely stupid to not go to a doctor immediately? What sort of treatments are available for problems like this that don't involve temporary relief like drugs? I'm getting desperate and worried that this is going to be permanent.

Also...I have an irrational fear of doctors, surgery, and particularly paralysis.

• I understand you have a fear of doctors but do keep in mind they put their pants on one leg at a time like you. They are just there trying to help you to the best of their ability.

Aside the fear you should go to the doctor and check this out as you do not want it to turn into something worse. The first sign that the pain is centered in the lower back and has not gone to your legs is a good sign.

I believe you should see the doctor and his recommendation. Unless you tell him you are in such pain that is making your quality of life go down he will probably not recommend meds. Also you do not have to take them either.

Most cases initially when you are not coming from a major trauma they will do some simple tests in the office and unless the doctor finds something wrong the doctor will more than likely prescribe PT.

I believe a doctor's visit in order for you IMHO.

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

Because your pain is persisting, I too suggest going to your PCP. You might get some x-rays to see if there's anything obvious going on. Docs usually try as many conservative methods as they can before doing anything drastic, like physical therapy, injections, etc.

Pain medications aren't an automatic thing, either. Most docs don't like to prescribe them, but if yours offersto prescribe some for you, you can always decline.

You're very young, so that's going to help you. Let us know what your doctor says.

• that as long as you are not experiencing any nerve pain down your leg that you are OK to wait it out a little bit longer. Most back issues do correct themselves in 6 months time. If it is not getting worse and really only flairs up when you are active I would personally wait a little bit longer. Good luck and keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.