Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-op - all help and advice welcomed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,

I stumbled across this site as I'm having surgery on two levels of my lumbar spine in January and would really appreciate as much help or advice anyone can offer.

Here is a little about my background. I am a 25 year old English female and used to do a lot of running in my teens. My injuries began with a stress fracture in my foot followed by a tear in my knee cartilage which was operated on 4 years ago. Most of pain at the moment is in my legs which constantly ache and feel tight and stiff. The pain is worse in my left side, where I had the operation on my knee. I also have a huge muscle knot in my left calf which regularly cramps and spasms, the pain in my left also extends to my hip and occasionly my neck. No matter how much stretching I do my legs always hurt, which I have been told is down to nerve damage stemming from my back where I have a numb pain. I have had years of pysio but nothing has helped my pain which has got gradually worse.

A recent discogram revelaed I have spondylosis of the lower vertebrae and am having surgery to fuse one level and replace the disc on another level.

I'm sure there are lots of you out there who have had this treatment, has anyone had simillar muscle tightness and numbness and was this resolved after surgery? My surgeon said that I should be able to go back to work after 6-8 weeks - what kind of recovery and pain should I expect?

Should I also expect further operations down the line?

Thanks you,

• Howdy and Welcome to Spine Health!!!! By surgery, I am what we affectionately call a "neckie." My back is going now, so as my surgeon calls it, once my neck is under control, we will address it! Sorry to hear you are going through this. If all goes well, 8 weeks should work out. Take care and keep us posted!!! Again, welcome to the site!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. I love your name, btw.

Like Brenda, I'm also a neckie but have recently become a full fledged spiney, with a TLIF at L4/5 scheduled for early January.

As you can tell by these first two posts, it seems that it's not uncommon for someone with problems in one part of their spine to have problems in another part some time down the road.

If you browse the surgery section, you'll find a lot of posts that will probably help you get an idea of what to expect, although everybody's experiences are different. No two spineys are just alike. There's also a sticky at the top of the surgery section that lists post-op must-haves - it's a valuable reference guide for what you may need/want to have when you get home after surgery.

Again, welcome to Spine-Health. There's tons of info on this site and the forums have some wonderful, friendly and knowledgeable members.

• I am so sorry to hear of all that you suffer from especially at such a young age. Running is very hard on the joints but I guess that you already know that.

When you have one level fused it will put pressure on the other levels so it makes sense that you may need surgery again in your life time.

You may want to take a look at the surgery section and the sticky post op must haves. Your recovery will be much easier if you are prepared.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted.