Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help!- anyone know more about cerv. posterior revision surgery ?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I have to get this posterior rod/screw or wire surgery soon. I had acdf c4-5 and c5-6 with plate and 5 screws 1/07. I fused well and on time. Then, Pain got progressively worse. I had to stop construction work. Then, I took some classes to change career. Then, march 2008 I was hit with an iceball while driving. Long story short, life got worse, pain got worse. Got occipital nerve stimulator 1/09 - only helps with headaches. Got a cat scan this last august and they saw the 2 upper screws broke. then a ct mylegram showed fusion has failed. i looked back at some old x-rays and I saw the broken screw. Radiologist did not!!! after a year and half- one of screws is backing out. This explains my severe pain where I can't work let alone function - almost bedridden. I hate gravity, my neck hurts more I hold my head up. I just got injections at 4-5 site and sure enough I got relief this week. Well, that means surgery according to my surgeon. He wants to stabilize joints because he found micromovement and it needs fixed. Scared of this procedure but willing to do anything for some relief. I hear it's a longer hospital stay and more painful than acdf surgery. Anyone know more about this? They say 98% fusion rate. Anyone have this done? Thanks so much, Jenn

• Pennyloaff,

I too would love an answer to your question. I had successful fusion a year and a half ago for my C5/6, and then in August of this year I had my C6/7 fused - well the top of the fusion failed. My surgeon has me on a bone growth stimulator, and now I have to get 4 weeks of PT (more for flexing and core strength - NS stipulated NO NECK Twist, pulling or traction on the script). Surgery hasn't been put back on the table yet...but if all this doesn't work, it will be.

My NS would go through the back to fix..so it sounds pretty much like what you are going through. I will watch this thread for info. Thanks again for bringing it up Penyloaff. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Not sure but it sounds like he wants to now do the fusion from the back since the first fusion was through the front...right? I had a posterior cervical foraminotomy and while they were in there they enhanced the fusion (but not with additional hardware in my case). If it's to stabilize your spine it may be a good choice. I have a good friend who had this done (a few years after his ACDF) and though he lost a little bit of range of motion he said his pain diminished greatly after the posterior fusion.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos