Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question about examiner??

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Health Insurance Issues
i have applied june 2nd , i know it takes a long time for decision. but have any of you talked to your examiner that was assigned to you? i cannot get her to return any of my calls. i have only recently made calls, i make sure i am not bugging her. i just call an leave a message to ask the statis of my claim, if there is anything she needs, to please call me, she does not. i have been off work since may of 2008. i am so frustrated, and very depressed over all this , my RSD has spread, and gotten worse, just seeing my pm . waiting a month a half on insurance to approve nerve root injection, i feel like everyone is ignoring me. i just want some answerers. this rsd is getting really bad, for those of you who suffer from it, know what i mean, can anyone just tell me is it commen to not talk with examiner, oh by the way, i do not have an attorney, but wish i would have gotten one from the beginning. thanks and wish everyone on here a happy thanksgiving , we all deserve it. always leo

• called my examiner. I heard somewhere that is not a good thing to do. They are so busy that it can actually slow the process down. I am thinking that if you told her to call you if she needs anything that maybe she does not need anything else so is not calling you back?

I know how frustrating the process is but if you just applied in June of this year it has not even been 6 months yet.

My first denial only took 4 months so maybe the fact that it is taking longer is a good sign?

Good luck and hang in there.
  • I spoke to my examiner many times. I usually had to leave a message, but he would call me back that day or the next.

I believe it just depends on the examiner and their work load.

My discussions began with him because I got a letter from him stating he had not gotten any records back yet from 2 of my doctors offices.

I actually called him on one occasion because I wanted to make sure, along with medical evidence, that they also consider the amount of pain one is in, in making their decision. I'm sure a lot of people would consider that a no no, but I felt comfortable enough with him to do that. He is actually the one that confirmed for me that I was approved. I received a letter that I needed to fill out applications for benefits for my 2 minor children. After a phone call to the main SS line, she recommended I call him directly to verify if I was approved because she did not have access to it, and he would be the one to tell me the decision.

Leo, I would call the phone number listed for your examiner and dial "zero" or try to get around the system to get a manager involved. It's one thing to leave a message letting her know to contact you if she needs something, but if you have questions, your call should be returned.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.....

• I've began my "jump through the hoop" scenario with SSD about 130 days ago, and just received notice 2 days ago about my "Medical Doctor examination" with SS doctor? I had a 3 level lumbar fusion almost 2 years ago and am unable to work due to constant pain sitting, standing, twisting, lifting, etc... I have accepted my physical situation as depressing as it is.

I have a lot of questions on the physician they are sending me to first. Is this going to be like work/comp docs? I sure hope not!! That was the most aweful thing I've ever been through. I swear those idiots are brainwashed, and don't look at each individual AS an individual. I think anyone on here that has a work related injury knows what I'm talking about. Do they examine us like "real" physicians, or are they brainwashed also to say, "Oh she's fine, nothings wrong"? Or do they give their TRUE REAL findings back to SS?

Also, is it a good situation that they are sending me to one of their docs to be examined? Am I one step closer to this being approved?
  • I can only tell you my experience with this. The doc that I saw did report his true findings. The test was not that bad. Anything that I was not able to do I was not forced to try. The examiner did find that I was totally disabled. At that point I was only 3 or 4 months out from my surgery so he said that he did not know if my disability would last for 12 months (requirement for SSD).

I was denied on those grounds. I appealed. Denied again. Appeal to ALJ. ALJ gave me a fully favorable decision.

The whole process took about 1 1/2 years. My lawyer felt that if I had waited to apply after I had already ben disbled for 1 year I may have been approved on the first try.

So I don't think that it is better or worse that you are going for the IME. I think that SS has decided that they need more info on your medical condition.

The test is simple things like bending forward and back as far as you can. Walking heel to toe. Leg raise. Things like that.

Good luck and keep us posted.
  • You most certainly can speak to your examiner. It has no bearing as far as processing time is concerned (although I would not put it past some examiners to say that to their claimants!). The only things that could delay processing is being unable to obtain needed information within a 30 day period. You may be sending mixed messages, though ("if you need anything else, call me"). Try calling and leaving a message like this: I am calling for a status on my claim. I have additional information to give you. Please call me at this number ________" and then offer information like you've had a change in meds, or you're going to see your doctor again. Whatever it may be. But, you have to make them think it's important to your claim....

If you have left numerous messages for this person to contact you without success, you could call the main number for your disability office and ask to speak with a supervisor/manager. I remember working with examiners who HATED public contact.

Each disability examiner has their case load to work (mine was anywhere from 150 - 200). They have to be processed in a timely manner. Each examiner is required to make a certain number of decision each week (quota) and are under extreme pressure to keep their case loads at a manageable number. So, they are busy. But, they have to keep contact with their claimants too. At least once a month, 6 weeks.

Good luck, hon.
  • thank you all for your responses, she still has not called me back. it has been 6 mths. yesterday the 2nd. i am a nervous wreck, to say the least, to say the least. we just got a call from the bank yesterday asking when we could make the mortgage, we said we are not sure. also we are 2 mths. behind on car pyts. disconnect for electric on 17th of dec. everything is hitting us all at once. we have 3 children, and they do not ask for much. but it is the season for giving. i pray we hear something for the good before christmas for our family. i do not know how much more i can take my rsd with pain is not helping my anxiety, and makes it 10 times worse. i cry alot. i feel like with my luck, social security has lost my case or something. everyday i check my mailbox to get disappointed, i am sure alot of you know how i feel. thanks for everyone on here for talking. Leo