Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery set for 2:30 pm in Dec. do I have to stop eating

z3cruzinzz3cruzin Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
at midnight? They want me at the hospital at 10:30 am. I usually wake up around 4 am - I am going to be real hungry. What has been your experience? Thank you.

• Didn't your doctor give you pre-op instructions yet?
    Have you gone to the hospital for your pre-surgery exam?

This information and more should be provided by 1 or both of the parties.

Any meds that can cause blood thinning you must stop 1-2 weeks prior. No aspirin or ibuprofen etc... No food the day before, not the night before. I wasn't allowed to eat the whole day before. Only drink liquids and they had to be clear liquids. I was allowed to drink some chicken broth to I wouldn't be completely famished. There are other things too. You need this information specifically from your surgeon and/or the hospital. It is based on your health, meds, and surgery you are having.

• It states npo 12 midnight and surgey is at 2:30 pm. That just seems like a long time with nothing in the belly. I have my surgeyr screeing 2 days before surgery. I hope to get more info then. Thanks for your response.
  • No surprise really. Before most surgery they don't want you eating before midnight. In fact after midnight. No food or drinks. Not even water.

They would prefer you had a bowel movement and your bladder was empty. It all reduces risk in the OR. It's for your own good. You can deal with not eating for 12 hours. You'll get over it. It should be the least of your worries. Although I know how you feel. I went 30 hours with no real food.

If you are on other meds that are blood thinners, like for high blood pressure. No aspirin or ibuprofen, tylenol only. Any of these meds and you can bleed out during surgery. Nice sobering thought huh?

This is why you should have the pre-op consult with your surgeon 2 weeks prior. He may already have all the answers he needs from you. And simply not eating after midnight maybe the only thing you need do. Let me suggest you not wait until before midnight and then stuff yourself to get by. Eat a decent supper but don't pig out. Then wait until your surgery is done.
  • I appreciate your input.
  • Keep the odds in your favor as much as you can control. Then positive attitude going in for surgery. Follow orders after and be meticulous about any bend, lift, twist stuff. And if that userid means you own a Z3. They typically don't want you driving a stick for 2-4 weeks after. Depending on the type of surgery you are having.

I just had fusion at L5/S1. That means no driving my Z06 for 4 weeks at least. Due to the shifting. Starting week 3 I have been allowed to drive an auto trans car for very short distances. 15 minute trip at most. And only 30 minutes as a passenger in any car.
  • my surgery was scheduled for 1:30 pm. I ate a mini meal at 11:00 pm. My bigger problem was no water. I'll be honest, I did take a few sips here and there and had no problems. A nurse once told me that they want your stomach as empty as possible in case you are sensitive to the anaesthesia and vomit. Since I am not a Nurse, I don't know if there is more to it than that.
  • The reason they don't want you to vomit is because you may not be awake enough and you could then inhale it into your lungs (aspiration) and develop a pneumonia. Also the same reason the anesthesiologist asks about refulx.

You might ask if you can be NPO just 8 or 9 hours prior to your surgery time. Maybe a light breakfast if you wake up at your usual 4 a.m.? I work with little kids & babies, they don't stick to the midnight time!
  • I am not a nurse either but used to work closely with nurses. That is the main reason for the empty stomach, incase the anesthesia makes you nausious. If you are diabetic, talk to your doc, it may not be safe for you to go that long wihout eating,
    otherwise, I agree with lisa, have a good snack/small meal late and hang in there :) It is a long time. Like Lisa, no drinking was harder for me.
    Keep us posted,
    God Bless and Keep you...full :)
  • I was told no food after 11pm and no liquid after midnight. I was told I could brush my teeth with the smallest amount of water and if I had to take pain med, again, smallest amount of water.

The night before I got confirmation of time of surgery and the instructions shifted a little based on the time of the surgery. I was going to be late afternoon, early evening so was allowed to eat a little later (I got up in the middle of the night to eat).

I will tell you following the instructions is important for the reasons others suggest. Also, when you wake up, they will give you ice chips and then once you are moved from recovery to your room, most hospitals are pretty good about getting you a meal if you are up for it.