Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Snapping hips?

TiffanyTerrorTTiffanyTerror Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post...but since I went to PT for my back problem I thought I would give it a try. :)))

I went to PT about a year ago for a few months because I was having horrid back spasms regularly. My PT told me that my pelvis was un-even and my hips were tight. She spent the first part of every session pulling on my legs, stretching my hip flexors etc, just to get my pelvis level. I did stop having frequent back spasms after PT but ever since going my hips snap constantly. I am talking everytime I go from standing to sitting, turning while standing etc etc. Its insane and its really loud...my mom generally hears it from across the room. Its not usually painful, but I notice sometimes that the area over my hips/flexors can feel sore sometimes. I have tried stretching etc but nothing makes a difference. The snapping has increased lately, and I have been having more back pain...burning in my low back when sitting, pain down the leg etc.

I was wondering if anyone else has these problems? Any insight at all would be appreciated. I would go back to PT but I don't have insurance at the moment so just looking for anyone else that might have some tips/experience.

• I think what you are hearing is a ligament moving across a bone and it can catch and make a popping sound. There are many muscles and tendons that have attachments in that general vicinity -- what most of us refer to as the "hip."

It could be the psoas tendon snapping over your pectinious tuberosity- If your PT was working on your hip flexors, there are a number of choices...but this is the one that snaps on me. The following is a link to an illustration in the event you are interested:

Mine doesn't make a loud noise, but it usually hurts for a bit after it pops. It really isn't anything to worry about...it is mostly annoying. Keep doing the stretches the PT showed you. You don't want the progress you made to be lost.

Hope this helps.