Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wonderful 4 week post op checkup - L5 Lami

Slkep2004SSlkep2004 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone. Had a four week checkup yesterday and got the thumbs up sign! L5 lami with removal of bone spur and lipomatosis and cleaning up bungled up ligament seems to be a success so far. Dr said incision was great and just not to overdo it. He knows my back is feeling good and that I'm wanting to get on with my life. Also may get to start PT in a few weeks too. Am already walking twice a day, 1/4 mile each time. It helps with the jitters I'm getting while coming off of the pain medicines. He also told me I am doing fine as I ween off of them. In two weeks I've decreased my intake by 1/4 and am now working on taking another 15mg away. He said if I got too uncomfortable that there are things he can give me to help but at this time to just suffer it out with the sweats and shakes and all that jazz. I'm very pleased with my outcome and am just so thankful that something worked out well for me. I hope others can get this relief that I am experiencing. Two months ago I was in a world of hurt where every minute sometimes was a task. Those days are now starting to fade from my memory, mercifully. Just wanted everyone to know that sometimes these surgeries actually are successful. I'm proof!
With much to be thankful for,

• Hey, congrats on the positive 1 month check-up. I'm only 2 weeks post op and I'm already worried about the first month check, so I know you must feel great about the good news. Happy for you.

• Please be very careful for the next couple months. You are entering what I think of as the danger zone. You are feeling pretty good and are excited about it as you feel like you can now do all the things you haven't been able to do for ages. Many people get into trouble at this point. They do too much, or push too hard and do things they really shouldn't be doing! And then they either have a setback or actually do physical damage to the newly repaired body part!

That being said, I am delighted this has turned out so well for you. I know you were very worried about the possibility of having complications.

Enjoy your newfound status -- just please be careful. You will not be fully healed for many months, and you don't want to create any new problems.

• Hi Gwennie. Thank you muchly for the encouragement and the words of wisdom. You are so right, of course. I have been going and going for two days straight and realized it yesterday around 3 in the afternoon. I sat down and realized I had worn myself to a frazzle. Usually I can go all day and night but not anymore, for now. I am not noticing any pains this morning and I slept like a log last night. That is one of the things I'm enjoying most. The sleep. I'm making up for lost time!

I think I will make a post it note that says "Danger Zone" and put it in my office and on my fridge. That way I will keep reminding myself that I'm not 100% yet and will continue to baby myself. I don't want to do anything that will set me back. I just want this to go on forever. The other day my dr told me that I do have some permanent nerve damage and that it takes nerves up to nine months to heal up. So we won't know anything nerve-wise for months. All I know is it's not screaming every time I move so that's good enough for me.

I hope your holiday has been peaceful and I hope you are feeling okay today. I hope that soon you can have some relief in your life too. Thank you for thinking of me.