Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

i dont understand the medical terms from my mri

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone,
i have a lot of problems in my back, from my neck to my lower back into the sacrum. i have been in horrible pain (lower) for almost 2 weeks. i had an xray of the lumbar, radiologist said there was something there that he could not tell. i went for the mri, it has come back with a lot of different things. i was made an app (by my PCP) with tristate neurosurgeons.
on the mri it has large cantral to rt parasagittal disc w flattening of the rt anterolateral thecal sack. something about a fecal sac.left medial neural forminal encroachment chronic ddd with cephalad migration. asymmetric stenosis and a lot of other terms.
i need help trying to GET it. any info would be truly appreciated!!!

• Interpretation of MRIs are best left up to your doctor. A lot of those terms sound scarey to people and really are not as bad as they sound. But, there is obviously some nerve, disc and stenosis problems contributing to your painful symptoms.

Best wishes to you,

• I'm no doctor by far but maybe I can help you understand a couple of these terms as I have had them on some of my mri's too.
    It helps if you look the words up in the online medical dictionary or encyclopedia. That's what I did and it helped me understand alot before I heard the docs results.

I believe the thecal and fecal sac terms are related to the sacrum area, stenosis means narrowing of that area that's listed, DDD is degenerative disc disease,and the other terms like parasagittal, asymmetrical,anterolateral,foraminal are terms related to the exact location of the changes that were seen. Sort of like horizontal, parallel, etc.

Mri's are very difficult and confusing to read yourself and that's why they wait until your doc gives you the diagnosis after a radiologist has gone over it first.But as I said, you can look these up yourself and get some of your own answers to help you understand and put it all into perspective.

Hope this helps you some.Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.