Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can L4-L5 herniation make it worse for T1-T2 herniation?

jsirabellajjsirabella Posts: 311
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hello All,

Question may not make sense but I was a very avid cyclist and on occasion I would get a pain in my ribs. Well one day I had an accident which gave me a mild herniation of my L4-L5. Till that time I never really felt pain in my back near the T1-T2 area but it really started to bother me more. During my diagnosis they did a MRI of my thorasic and they find a mild herniation in the T1-T2. Before it was only if I bent over too fast but now it bothers me much more.

I just wonder of the L4-L5 herniation made the T1-T2 come out more and as that recovers so will the T1-T2 or can they not affect each other. Also can it be the L4-L5 just making all my back much weaker so I just sense it more?

Any help would be appreciated and are there any exercises you can do to try and recover the thorasic area similar to the lumbar area.

• Hi JS

I have a T1/T2 herniation from a car accident. Initially my pain was over my shoulder, up my neck to my ear and numbness in one arm and shooting pain in other arm. More recently I have been getting pain around my rib cage. Over the past 8 months these pains have come and gone and come back again in different combinations.

You may have had this t1/t2 herniation before and not known it or the previous pain may have been due to something different like lung pressure.

I am sure you have been told that herniation at this level is very rare and usually only seen in massive traumatic injury cases. Some herniations will shrink back on their own. Usually the determination of surgery is based on your level of pain and lifestyle change. If your herniation is pressing on nerves you need to consider the possibility of permanent nerve damage.

What is your doctor recommending? And what kind of doctor are you seeing? I would recommend a neurologist and a neurosurgeon. Some people prefer orthospine surgeons. Again it depends on whether there is nerve involvement.
  • Hi Kris do u need surgery for ur herniation? i have severe pain in my thoracic spine but my mris and nerve conduction say no impingement. im so confused as to what to do.
  • Hi Kris do u need surgery for ur herniation? i have severe pain in my thoracic spine but my mris and nerve conduction say no impingement. im so confused as to what to do.