Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie - tentative date scheduled for PLIF - Diabetic

sbmlatssbmlat Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I am a newbie here. I am 35 yr old mom with 2 kids.

For the last few years, I am having back pain issues. Starting this year the pain became very severe. I had MRI done in February. It showed DDD in L4/L5 and L5/S1. Later my primary physician referred me to the Pain management doctor. I went for 5 visits for the epidural shots. They gave relief for two weeks only. Later my primary physician referred me to Neurosurgeon and that Doctor asked me go for 'Bone scan'. After results from that test, he referred me to the Ortho surgeon. After few visits, I decided to go for PLIF. Now my insurance company agreed for the surgery. So right now surgery tentatively scheduled for Dec 1st week.

I am in good spirits but the only thing I am worried about is my Type 2 diabetes.

I appreciate any suggestions from anybody who had the same condition and went for fusion surgery.

Thank you

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    My husband has type II and when he had his tonsils out we just made sure the nurse was checking his blood sugar. It's a bit tougher with a tonsillectomy sine much of what they feed tonsillectomy patients is ice pops, jello, etc.

Do you take meds like Metformin? There are some rules for Metformin and surgery so check with your doctors as to when to take it, what they'll do in the hospital if you can't eat or are nauseous, etc. If you have a spouse/friend/family member that will be in your room immediately after you have surgery be sure that person hands the nurse a list of your medications and alerts them to the type II diabetes. While you will have already told admissions and the staff in the pre and post op area information like that should always be reiterated to the staff on the floor. Plus, if there are certain foods you prefer to take with you that may be a viable possibility. My husband does a 15 carb snack in the mid-morning and late evening so we brought some of his favorites with us (so he would not rely on the stuff they had on the floor). Many hospitals will even allow refrigerated stuff if you label it and hand it to them. In addition the dietary department should give you diabetic friendly menus and foods. And some will give you a wrist bracelet that alerts them to diabetes.

Bring your own testing supplies. Each type II patient is different. Under normal circumstances my husband only checks a few times a week as he's gotten it well under control. But while in the hospital he checked at least once a day. Much of it will depend on the level of control you have on the type II now. If it's well controlled you should do well post-op. If you tend to have ups and downs also bring glucose tablets with you if you ever use those. While a hospital can get their hands on some there's always a delay when they are seeking special supplies.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos