Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain on opposite side after MicroD

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a L4L5 MicroD with Lami on 09-09. Prior to the surgery I had weakness in the left leg,numbness and naturally sciatic pain. The pain and numbness is all but gone and the strength is probably 60% and gaining. My problem is shortly afteer the surgery I noticed spasms in the right hip then over the last month significant sciatic pain on what was the good side. My Doc says this is normal and my PT says its probably because that side has been and still is compensating for the left side. I have had intense PT and conditioning as Im a firefighter and was released to full duty on the 4th. He just put me on a prednisone pack and told me to go easy for a while. Its frustrating as hell when the surgical side is far better than what was the good side. Any comments appreciated

• My pain was completely different post op than pre op. The nerves can do funny things and you are still very early in your recovery. I know that it is frustrating but try and be patient. Don't overdo it and hopefully in a few more months you will be fine. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I had the same surgery as you in Jan 08 and experienced pain on my "good" side post op too. My surgeon said it was a common problem, and it resolved itself after 3-6 months. I am now completely pain free despite being 8 months pregnant, so hopefully your pain will settle soon and you can return to normal. I did lots of pilates to strengthen my core and to iron out imbalances that had arisen from having poor posture due to my back pain and I think that has helped a great deal.

Good luck with your recovery,

• I also had pain in the opposite leg. At first, it was alarming but the pain eventually went away.
  • I have pain on my opposite side also. I don't have much sciatic problems or spasms but my lower back and hip ache and sometimes constantly hurt so bad it feels like my hip will break off.

My surgeon said when they were doing surgery he seen that there was significant instability with my muscles and ligaments in that area. I guess were I tried not to use my lower back so long it made things worse. My surgeon said the pain should go away after a while when my muscles learn their new position from compansating for the bad side. I sure hope so... im like you im so stressed over this. I just would like to have a normal life or somewhat normal.

Keep my updated on how your doing and maybe what your doing with your progress. Maybe we can help each other out.
  • Wow Justin, your post looks as though I wrote it!