Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weird Pains

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
just when you think things are going great, something else pops up. Within the last week I've been getting these bad headaches, and also this pain that is all over my left arm. I'm a little tired to go with it, and I'm a little worried I might have done something to my neck since my surgery on oct 17th. I called my doc and they are closed today, ugh black friday. I have a little bit of soreness in my neck, and and some cracking when i move it around.
I'm trying not to be worried about it, but that's hard to do when your arm hurts for no reason. I know left arm pain, and other symptoms are a sign of heart attack, but I don't have any chest pain, or breathing difficulities. Hopefully someone else has had a problem close to this, and can relate~ Thanks~
- happy holidays.

• I would rest as much as possible (I assume from your profile pic that this may be hard with a baby! so cute)and use ice. If available, take some pain medication or ibuprofen. Muscle relaxers may help as well. It sounds like you just may have overexerted yourself. You are still early in recovery. Then, to be on the safe side, give your doctor a call on Monday if there is no improvement.

Best to you,

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Did you use any kind of neck brace after the surgery? If so you may want to wear it a bit to see if it helps alleviate any of the pain until you can see your doctor. I've actually had to wear mine a few times when I managed to cause myself some pain after surgery.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hello There! First off you are only 1 month post op. I had a multi level cervical fusion w/corpectomy and at 1 month post op I was still on my pain meds and wearing a cervical collar (3 months). The reason you had the surgery was because of some nerve pain going down your arms? Those symptoms take time to heal. During the operation they had to move the nerve to protect it and the nerves react because of this. The inflammation from the surgery will take longer because anti inflammatories are NOT prescribed because it will fail a fusion. You need to take it easy for a full 3 months or as your doctor prescribes. Your surgery didn't completely fix you, it only improved things. The surgery you had will only relieve the arm pains. Anything else is a bonus. I have had 2 neck surgeries since 2006 and my neck always hurts. My surgeon says he doesn't guarantee neck pain relief. I would avoid any lifting as well. It will NOT take much to fail a fusion at this stage of the game.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Sorry about the ibuprofen advice I posted. Not good to take after a fusion.