Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

will they ever figure this out ??

sadielynnssadielynn Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Chronic Pain
i have had pain in my lower back, down the left leg for a year and a half now, i had an MRI, EMG, everything is normal, i also went through pt, didnt help, it helps when i lay flat on my back, i cant lay on my right side at all, when i do the pain comes on really bad. when i get up in the mornings i have a couple hours to get everything done before the pain starts, so to me its got to be a weight bearing problem, since it doesnt start hurting until iam out of bed awhile. the pain is so bad, sometimes i feel like i just cant deal with it anymore, its gets depressing sometimes. I just started going to a new DR. he wants to do xrays of the pelvic area, we will see how that goes.

• That is a very good question and each process of evaluation does take time, we are understandably frustrated in that we hope to get back to normal as soon as possible, this is not always possible.

It is perceived that any diagnosis is a simple process when evidence here would suggest that it is not, many have pain and no clear diagnosis to substantiate the symptoms that they have and all of this is frustrating and time consuming. The process is never as simple as we may have surmised at the beginning and many here continue to seek a clearer picture so that the next stage can be initiated. All of this is frustrating as the waiting in limbo continues.

You are pacing well in your morning capacity as the end of you functioning approaches, trying to crap all our lives into those active moments almost impossible and accepting with a small a those imposed limitations, always problematic.

Good luck with your new doctor and this will get clearer as time goes on.

• i see this is only your second post and i want to welcome you to the forum. :H getting a diagnosis can sometimes be the hardest part of the pain puzzle. being pushed and probed and prodded and then to get no answers is very frustrating. ~X( give yourself a hug and prepare for another day. i do hope it is the day that holds the answers. good luck! :D Jenny
  • In my experieces with my neck it took many months and many tests for the dr to finally figure out what was going on and why I was hurting. It get very frustrating but you have to stay positive and keep your spirits up.I know in time your dr will be able to figure this out,until then do what you have to do to be happy and keep your spirits high.If you need anything I'm sure someone on this forum will help you,as its a great deal of wonderful people here.Peace and Love! Mark
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

You might be surprised how many members on this forum are in the same boat you're in. There are many different spine tests, and each one can see different things. Additionally, different docs can read the same MRI differently. The spine is so complex with so many different aspects that it can take time to pin your symptoms down to a specific area or areas. So with all that going on it oftentimes takes months to find the source of our pain so we can get on with the business of figuring out how to fix it.

I'm sorry that you're dealing with this, but hang in there - in time, they'll find the problem. I hope that in the meantime, they're helping you with the pain via exercises and/or meds.

While you're waiting, this is a great place to find information, make friends and get some much needed support. We all understand what you're going through so talking with us can be very emotionally and psychologically beneficial. Feeling alone with what's going on is a common side effect for people with spine problems because so few around us can understand what we're going through. But, we do.

Take care and keep us posted.
  • thank you for your replies, yes they do have me on 15 mil of ms contin, twice a day, and vicoden 10/325 3 times a day for breakthrough, but its not enough, iam still in pain, i run out every month before time to refill, so this is a big problem, iam afraid to ask for more, i dont want the dr. to think iam taking them when i really dont need to, and i dont. i do try to stay pain free as much as i can though,i work on concrete, alot of standing, that really gets to me. i can barely make it through a shift. vicoden is so short lived, it doesnt last very long, i think thats why i have such a problem as far as running out.
  • A little piece of advice. Your doctor is not going to prescribe enough pain medication to make you pain free. That's too much to ask for. The best you can hope for is to manage your pain levels. If you're running out of meds before their time, you are abusing what the Doctor has prescribed. You could easily find yourself cut off from everything and then have nothing to provide any relief. Follow the instructions on the label.

• i should be more specific, i only run out of the vicoden, not the ms contin, i usually run out about a day or two before time for refill, the ms contin does very little for me anyway, i need to talk to my dr. and see if there is something else he could give me for extended relief, since iam pretty new to all of this, any suggestions about meds for nerve pain, so far the doctors have all agreed this is a nerve pain. i have tried neurontin, it made me sick, i couldnt take it.
  • I feel your pain, so to speak. My pain is in my middle back right on the spine, and I do as much as I can in the mornings before the pain starts up usu. an hour or so after I get up. I am waiting for answers also, everything has come back negative so far, but am seing a neurosurgeon soon, I think. Mine has been going on for 2 mos. now, with no relief. I hope you get some answers, if you do, let me know!! Good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.