Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

re-herniated Disc 1.5yr post microdiscectomy

lynettellynette Posts: 217
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone

I'm revisiting spinal forums with continuing degenerative disc back issues. I had a microdiscectomy for rupture L-5 S-1 in Feb '08 with good relief of sciatica until July '09 and re-herniated.This time I avoided surgery cuz I never lost any leg function like last time. The disc sat on my nerve for 8 weeks in July and Aug. I now have minimal leg pain but now have developed low back pain. I tried a epidural steroid injection but great relief for only one week. My current mri shows a large herniated disc impinging on my l-5 s-1 nerve root and the vertebral endplates now showing progressive bone marrow edema changes from my July mri. My neuro says I will most likely need a fusion at l-5 s-1. I guess it's just a quality of life issue, but I'm only 49 and can basically only work and do my daily activities.I only currently take advil for pain. We can't seem to increase my pt because of my very irritated nerve root. Just looking for any experience from anyone who has been through this. I am from upstate ny and I am seeing the head of spinal surgery at The Hospital for Special Surgery on Dec 7th for a second opinion.

• I am so sorry to hear that you have re-herniated. This seems to be fairly common. It really sound to me like you are doing all of the right things like getting a second opinion.

I wish you luck and please keep us posted with the outcome.
  • Hi Lynette and welcome to Spine-Health. I'm sorry to hear of the problems you are having after surgery. I too live in upstate NY. I live between syracuse and binghamton (do you know where that is?). I wish you good luck on your appt Dec 7th. I'm getting an epidural injection that same day or maybe it's the 6th (whatever day is the monday of that week).

Keep me posted on how you make out.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by. :D it is always a good idea to get a second opinion. good luck with your pain issues.. =D> Jenny :)
  • Thanks for all your welcomes. Ming, I live in Binghamton so I"m not far! I will keep you updated. Lynette