Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Did ANY back pain go away w/Microdiscectomy??

Mandalina07MMandalina07 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having a microdiscectomy on L4-L5 and L5-S1 on Wednesday, I am generally ok when I am just lounging at home not doing anything but when I am active the leg and back pain starts up. I get horrible pain/stiff back when bending even for a minute. I know that the micro-d will probably take care of the leg pain, which will help tremendously. Did anyone get any BACK relief from this procedure?? I won't get my hopes up but I really do wish it will help my back even a little. Has a microdisectomy helped your back AT ALL, or just leg pain????

• It will alleviate the leg pain, not necessarily the back pain. I would suspect your back pain will hurt from incision initially and let it heal before being too active.

There are lower core stomach exercises the PT people will teach you when you are recovered (post 6 weeks) that don't use your back too much but will strengthen your core, which should take pressure off your back.

Good luck with the surgery.
  • only helped the leg pain. Sorry to say that there was no relief for my back. But getting relief for the leg pain was worth it.

I have 2 family members that had microD years ago. They both got leg and back relief with no problems since. So I guess that there is some chance of it.

I have noticed that you have arthritis of the facet joints the same as I do. That is what causes my pain and stiffness when bending, walking or generally being active.

The pain in my facet joints did get a little worse immediately after surgery. Hopefully that will not be the same for you

Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I got wonderful relief from leg and back pain with my micro-d. Unfortunately, it only lasted six months (my DDD, spondy, and scoliosis finally caught up with me). Granted, I didn't have a terrible amount of back pain prior to the micro-d, but I did have lots of soreness and occasional jabs. I hope this will be the last procedure you will need and you get the relief you're looking for.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • But from what I understand, the goal od most microdiscectomies is to relieve leg pain. As my OS explained it to me leg pain is caused by the herniations or whatever is pressing on the nerves/spinal cord and back pain is typically caused by bad discs. So I'm sure it is possible to get some relief from the back pain, but know that in my case the only way to get rid of my back pain was to get rid of the bad discs completely.
  • When my L4-L5 herniated, it was 70% back pain and 30% leg pain. When standing, it was like a super sharp knife stabbing pain in the lower back. I could not stand up straight, only hunched over 45* at most.

The micro-d completely relieved both pains and I can stand up straight now.

Good luck on your surgery. When you are up to it, come back and let us know how it went. we're cheering for you!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008