Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

very odd pain down front of thighs after miro-d? thoughts?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
so I had a 2nd micro-d/laminectomy on l5-s1 3 weeks ago...the pain/numbness in the back of my left leg and foot is better, but since the surgery there has been this new weird pain down the front of the tops of my thighs, and both hips. I reherniated something (MRI tomorrow) about a week ago.

any thoughts on what it might be?

• Did you have the "new" pain in the front of the thigh from the time you awakened from surgery, or did it come on later?

It is possibly a result of the way you were positioned on the operating table. I had a similar thing happen. My surgeon gave me a generic response to my inquiry, but his PA told me that patients were placed in very "weird" positions at times during a surgery, depending on what angle was needed to provide the most accessability to the part of the spine being worked on. She said they pad carefully but it is not always enough...and you can be left in that weird position for a period of time. Sometimes a ligament gets stretched or a nerve is disturbed. There are a number of things that run right through that area...a common problem is with the femoral nerve. Another possibility would be the psoas muscle . If you look at a good anatomical illustration of this part of the body, you will see how many important muscles, nerves and ligaments are packed into this area.

Your pain might stem for something like this which is an unintended result from the surgery itself.

Hopefully your MRI tomorrow will reveal what is causing all your new pain. Have you had MRIs with gadolinium before?
  • no, this new nerve pain on the front of my thighs has coem up since I reherniated 5 days ago...I was doing great after the surgery - it was painful but I was doing really well 2 weeks after!! now I am not able to move well at all, can barely get on/off the couch and bed!
  • Well, that location would not be the typical dermatome pattern for either L4-5 or L5-S1. Pain at the top of the thigh, more where it joins the torso is usually coming from a spinal nerve located about the L4...so I don't have any suggestions.

I'll be curious to see what your surgeon thinks.

Good luck tomorrow.
  • re-herniate but the nerve pain that ran down the back of my thigh pre op moved to the front of my thigh post op. I was sure that I had re-herniated but I was told that once the nerve is released from compression it is not unusual for the pain to move.

That pain did eventually go away as I healed.

Are you positive that it is a re-herniation?

Good luck with the MRI and please keep us posted.
  • My nurses told me it comes from the surgeon handling the nerve during surgery and also from the swelling and inflammation caused by the surgery. They said it is one of the most common complaints they hear. That along with "why do I have tingling and burning".
    Hope this helps.