Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new symptom

JulieAJJulieA Posts: 1,420
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been going down hill for the last few weeks and I beleive I have finally hit rock bottom. I hope so anyway.

Tonight my neck got stuck or froze when I turned it just a little to the right. It did this 4 more times during dinner. What followed was shooting pain into my ears/cheeks-it was very strange. Has anyone else felt the neck stick?

The pain has been pretty high with pain meds I am running 6-9 levels in my neck/scapular/arms/hands etc. I can't remember the last time I fell asleep or woke up with out pain. When this started my neck never hurt- there was some discomfort but I didn't say my neck is a source of pain....

• My NS nurse returned my call today.

I told her about the latest (the neck snags). Then I asked for a prescription for Lidoderm Patches. She says we don't like those- (I am thinking what?)- She then said we are not pain managers and only precsibe percocet.... OK I took a calming breath and said well when am I going to be seeing Dr XXX again. I want to discuss everything with him. She said well your seeing him on the 7th of January... What? Last week she gave me the 7th as my new surgery date.

I said well has he looked at the PT notes- nope we will discuss those in January...................

• JulieA said:

Tonight my neck got stuck or froze when I turned it just a little to the right. It did this 4 more times during dinner. What followed was shooting pain into my ears/cheeks-it was very strange. Has anyone else felt the neck stick?

Hi Julie!

As you can see by my signature, my neck is ummmm..a mess! The only part I didn't add is the bone spurs and loss of disk height for my C7/T1 (sigh). At around 5 weeks post op on my second fusion (C6/7) I got a "lock" "pop" and most of my symptoms from before my surgery returned! My NS has me using a bone growth stimulator in an effort to get the top of my fusion (which popped) to do its thing.

I don't lock as tight as you are describing, but I have gotten them around my C2/3 - seriously painful when it happens. The pain is around a 9, but fortunately for only about 30 seconds, then drops back down to around a 3 (on Lyrica - 6 not on Lyrica!) I think with mine, the bone spurs growing in that area are getting "stuck" if only momentarily. If it does it more than a couple of times (cuz I didn't pay attention) I suffer a headache at the base of my head to kill for!

Do you have bone spurs Julie? Those might be locking you up, or maybe if your issue is herniation, maybe there is an imbalance between the vertebrae? It is sad that after describing what is happening that your "next" appointment is over a month away! Obviously, try to avoid moving your head in ways this happens. I would try to INSIST on talking to your NS vs his nurse. Please keep us posted, sorry you are going through this. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yup. I have the bone spurs. Thanks Brenda. That is what I was thinking it might be. I actually asked for either the Nurse or the PA (hoping for the PA). I don't have PT this week but I may go see my PCP and ask her about it.

I want my NS to be aware and I seriously doubt he has even looked at my chart once or any of the notes. The only way he is going to look is if I am in the ER or have an appt with him (4 more weeks) and then some.....

Baaa HumBug :O)