Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Pain Study

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Pain Medications
Hi All,

I just saw in my local paper a study submitted by The Lancet about nerve pain meds. Basically it said that the combination of the anticonvulsant gabapentin and the antidepressant nortriptyline worked better together than either alone.

Maybe if any of you are having problems with the nerve pain you can tell your Dr. about the study. The article said that The Lancet "recently posted the findings online".

Hope this can help someone.

• Yes I am healing well. Sorry that mix didn't work for you. Thats the first time in my little local paper about anything related to nerve pain issues so I posted it hoping maybe someone can be helped by it (I figured if it was in my local paper maybe it was a big deal!). It seems like for so many of our problems its like a needle in a haystack to find the right combo.
  • Hi Lisa,
    I think the Cymbalta really helped me, I think it's a combo of SSNRI- Serotonin and Norephenephrine. My doc also started me on Baclofen for muscle relaxors and Oxymorphone which is long acting instead of hydrocodone and oxycodone. A good pain managment doc is what is needed. General docs don't always know these combos. Hope you are all doing well.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    is in way on how to manage overall spinal problems.
    There generally is no one "magic" pill that takes care of everything. Its also basically impossible to find that right mix to eliminate pain, we all hope that the "combo" we rind helps to manage and control our pain.

We are are distinct individuals, so finding that right mix can be somewhat different for everyone.
    In our FAQ there is a item I call the The Blend

Lisa, thanks for posting this about the combo for nerve pain. If that works for other like it has for you then your post is even more invaluable.

Just a warning for all. Do not try to put together your owm "cocktail" of medications. There are some that have negative interactions with other medications and you may not know this or other information regarding a blend. Therefore , it is always important that you work with your doctor on putting together your personalized mix .

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I am on this combo of meds. I take neurotin and amitripylin, and have been on it 2 months now. It has helped greatly with the sharp nerve pain,not to much on the burning pain. I agree with Eve, it hasn't done much to help me sleep. But that realy isn't my main concern, it would of just been an added bonus. I had seen an acticle on here a few months ago with the same basic info. The other post was from a study done in Canada, and when I saw my new physiarist I asked him about it. He had all ready knew about it, and put me right on it. He is in prosess of giving me a combo of meds that deal specifically with nerve pain by introducing 1 new 1 a month. So far my pain levels have dropped from a constant just I'm here, but leave me alone. To ok I'll leave my bed, and come talk to you in a chair for an hr or so, and not just 10 mins, and not be dieing after your visit. This works for me! Can't wait until he adds the next, and last 1. Who knows? I might be standing at the cubboard preparing dinner, instead of at the table sitting trying to do it.

Like Ron said, not every oombo of meds works for everyone, and you need to work with your dr to find the right 1 for you.

Lisa thank you for posting this. I'm sure it may help alot of people. It sure helped me, and I'm gratful to you, and people like you that post information like this on the forum.

Like someone once said, "Knowledge is power!" And if we can't arm ourselves with knowledge, then we go into things blindly. So it better to know something, then nothing.
    Bobbi Jo