Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nervous but eager

SapaSSapa Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I'm having surgery next week on Thursday, and I'm getting nervous! (Microdiscectomy) But I'm still eager to do it, and eager to feel better! I'm so tired of all the pain in my leg from the nerve compression, I just want some relief. So I'm trying to think positive, and not let my nerves get the best of me.

It's all I think about right now, I just can't get it off my mind. I'm worried about the pain from the surgery - the recuperation period. My husband keeps telling me to think positive. I am, but I'm still nervous!

I would be devastated if it doesn't help. But that's not going to happen, right???? I'm usually not a pessimistic person, but sometimes it rears its ugly head!

Hope you all are doing okay, talk to you later.
Sandy
advertisement

Comments

• I totally understand how you feel. My surgery isn't until Jan. 6 and I think about it every day, too. It's so nerve wracking...

Doing all the little things along the way help. Like I got my at-home nursing care set up yesterday (mon-in-law coming in from AZ) and that helped settle my nerves a little. And DON'T FORGET: Spineys HAVE to buy new underwear before surgery - it's a spiney rule. LOL

I've said this many times - so many of us find that the anticipation is worse than the surgery itself. I hope you find that to be the case.

Good luck to you and keep posting so we can help you try to keep your mind off your surgery.

Cath
  • I missed the new underwear rule! I'll just have to make up for it when I'm feeling better, lol.

Sapa, thinking positive will help you a lot. Go into it with a bit of a sense of humor and a positive attitude and you will be surprised at how easy it will be. I had a bit of a rocky road in the hospital but I'm still trying to be positive. (Honestly, if you weren't a bit nervous I'd say there may be something wrong with you!) :)

Keep posting, it really does help.
  • Stay positive. You will do just great.
    Microdiscectomy should bring you the leg pain relief you are looking for and I know you are nervous but stay positive and be conservative in your recovery . . .remember to take your time even if you feel like new person after a couple of weeks. The key is allow yourself a full 3 months to heal and be smart about bending, twisting, and lifting (i.e. not doing any of it).
  • Thanks guys!!! I never heard the new underwear rule either!! My husband will like that one! :)

I'm going to be sure and take it easy after surgery. I've been dealing with this for almost 3 years, so I'm not going to mess it up now!!

I will keep posting, it helps to have people who really know what you're talking about.
  • Nobody told me about that one before my surgery LOL! I've had several surgeries in the last 2 years, and I have a particular pair of undies I wear. They have "I (heart) coffee" embroidered on the back. The nurse saw them before my first surgery of the bunch, and when I woke up in my room, there was a fresh, hot cup of coffee waiting for me!

Sapa, everyone here is right: Stay positive, and for the most part, the lead-up to the surgery is harder than the surgery itself. Soon you'll be on the other side and on the way to feeling much better!
advertisement