Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg pain for 6months plus

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I was diagnosed with a herniated disk in 03, started having severe back pain again in 09. After therapy and medication I have felt better but I have had numbing, heaviness, and weakness in both lower legs fro about 6 months now on a daily basis.
I have herniated disks at L4-L5 there is a left paracentral disc protrusion assoc with high t2 signal intensity representing a superimposed annular tear impinging upon the left descending L5 nerve root within the lateral recess. There is a facet join and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. There is mild stenosis of the spinal canal and mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

At L5-S1 there is a right paracentral disc protrusion associated with an annular tear and no significant spinal canal or nueral foraminal stenosis.

The ortho. surgeon along with a nuerologist both believed that this is not the cause of my chronic leg pain. It is a numbing pain in the lower legs, sometimes feel shooting pain, and jolts down both my thighs as well.

Looking for someone with similar symptoms and maybe some advice.

• It's difficult for anyone to interpret your MRI results versus symptoms, because the professionals know what they're looking at.

Having said that, my MRI results are similar to yours (except I also have facet arthropathy, DDD and bone spurs impinging on spinal nerves), but my symptoms are different ie I don't have chronic leg pain or shooting pain down my legs. If you look at it that way ........ it upholds what they've told you.

Irrespective of my MRI & symptoms, if your symptoms are becoming worse, in your position, I'd ask my doctor about the chronic leg-pain / shooting pains down both legs, then go from there.

Apologies if that's not much help.

• Thanks for your response. Wondering what your sypmtoms are? I know based on my MRI I should mostly have sciatica pain, but that is not the case with me.
  • Thanks for your response. Wondering what your sypmtoms are? I know based on my MRI I should mostly have sciatica pain, but that is not the case with me.
  • Hi there,

Like you, with my results (collapsed disc etc), the pain should do down into my legs, both legs since the compression is occurring bilaterally.

However my symptoms aren't what should be expected. As soon as I start moving, I get a seering burning pain, which starts in my lower back and then begins to go up and down my spine so I end up with burning both upwards & downwards.

It also produces spasms, both internally and externally. I have to keep my colorectal system empty.

In addition I haven't been able to 'sit/stand/walk' without severe pain, for about 18 months. The trouble is, even lying down is painful and I haven't been able to lie on my back or right side for 18 months either.

Something I've never understood is that this all becomes worse the later it gets in the day. It isn't related to rest or sleep, because I can't sleep longer than 3-4 hours, so has to be based on some sort of diurnal rhythm. I've started researching it, but haven't got very far as yet!