Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Seeing Neuro next week, not sure how to put what I want to say...

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
To get him to do something lol I'm not looking for surgery or heavy drugs but sometimes the constant ache in my neck , upper back, head grates on my last nerves, where then I start to get upset. Soma my muscle relaxer works rather well most of the time for this ...

Also laying to sleep (I sleep on my stomach) increases pinching pain on the side of my neck (side depending on which side my head is turned) and goes into my shoulder. Also from the base of the skull to the end of my shoulder blades increases pain I don't have sitting. Sometimes I swear it feels like my neck is being bent in half...I have a tempurpedic swedish neck pillow that's really nice, but it still can't counter this stuff.

It's just gotten to the point where even in the car , with the jiggles etc it keeps a constant dull ache in most of above mentioned places.

I was thinking of asking him to prescribe or recommend me a better soft collar...I just have a cheap foam one.

Plus I do have a slight lumbar disc problem and I am not sure if it is that or my neck that causes pain in my left hip knee ankle foot and down my thigh. (My left side is the most affected side on my neck too).

Also can it affect vision? I went to the eye doc and he said I just the back of eye turns liquid and that's why I see spots and stuff...But I'm like ugh, could nerves in my eye perhaps be triggered by neck/head nerve stuff?

So how to get the doc to not just try to encourage me to get on with life and try to be happy lol
advertisement

Comments

• Butterfly

I guess I never read all the way through your history before. I have a herniation at t1/t2. No wonder our pain areas are so similar.

I have one doc saying do surgery. Second opinion told me she sees the problem but I am not in enough pain yet.

I asked her how bad I had to be to need surgery and she just looked at me. When I asked about permanent damage she decided I needed a new MRI.

I am tired of being told that my herniation a)is very rare b)can't cause ear/sinus pain. Sometimes I start to doubt myself when I talk to the doctors. They seem so confident and when I tell them something that I feel they dismiss me.

My only suggestion would be to print out some of these posts and show them to the doctor. Why do so many people have a problem that doesn't exist?

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

PS I also have been getting alot of spots and squiggles in my vision. I thought it was early vision problems but the tests come back normal...so once again who is right?
  • You shouldn't be sleeping on your stomach especially with neck problems,it just makes more strain on your neck.Choose either a side or back position.I was the same way,never slept on my side or back until i started having neck problems.Then i got yelled at by my therapist and doctor for sleeping on my stomach.It took me almost a year to finally be able to sleep on my back comfortably.After my surgery i started waking up on my stomach again for some reason.Maybe because i didnt' have the neck pain,i don't know. I did have vision problems when my neck was bothering me,mine was more blurred vision that would come and go.One time i had just been to the eye doc. for a check up and a couple days later the blurred vision happened i went back to see him and he checked and said that they had gotten worse in a few days and had to change my glasses perscription.
    Explain to your surgeon that your at the end of rope as far as pain goes and that your tired of not being able to do the things that you enjoy without being in pain.If you find that you have a hard time explaining yourself then take someone with you who will jump in if you start to faulter. Good luck with your appointment.
  • tammyc said:
    You shouldn't be sleeping on your stomach especially with neck problems,it just makes more strain on your neck.Choose either a side or back position.I was the same way,never slept on my side or back until i started having neck problems.Then i got yelled at by my therapist and doctor for sleeping on my stomach.It took me almost a year to finally be able to sleep on my back comfortably.After my surgery i started waking up on my stomach again for some reason.Maybe because i didnt' have the neck pain,i don't know. I did have vision problems when my neck was bothering me,mine was more blurred vision that would come and go.One time i had just been to the eye doc. for a check up and a couple days later the blurred vision happened i went back to see him and he checked and said that they had gotten worse in a few days and had to change my glasses perscription.
    Explain to your surgeon that your at the end of rope as far as pain goes and that your tired of not being able to do the things that you enjoy without being in pain.If you find that you have a hard time explaining yourself then take someone with you who will jump in if you start to faulter. Good luck with your appointment.
    Thanks so much! I know I shouldn't be sleeping on my stomach, but I can't help it. I've slept that way all my life lol. I do try to sleep on my back...That's about the best I can do. It helps to keep the neck straight. (obviously lol). But even so I wake up on my stomach lol. I will definitely explain that to him.

Thanks
    J
  • Try getting two of those long body pillows and putting one on each side of you. When I was pregnant I could never get comfortable because I wanted to be on my stomach. I lived with that pillow for months. It might also help if you can tuck in the sheets so it is harder to move.
  • Kris-NY said:
    Try getting two of those long body pillows and putting one on each side of you. When I was pregnant I could never get comfortable because I wanted to be on my stomach. I lived with that pillow for months. It might also help if you can tuck in the sheets so it is harder to move.

That sounds like a good tip. I'll try the sheet thing first, then look into long pillows.

Thanks!
  • One thing that happens as we age (yes, another one!) is that the retina can become detached as the thick eyeball mass gradually changes composition.
    I saw bright flashes at the sides, and quite a few blacks dots.
    Optician checked my eyes, and found no problem.
    He said that it usually clears up after a few days.
    If it doesn't, and gets worse, get immediate attention as the retina could be detaching. That is serious.
    But see an optician as soon as you can if you get the bright side flashes and dots together.
  • Yeah... I've been having the same problem for two years now..Maybe slightly worse, but yeah. Had them dilated in 07 and last month. They didn't find anything wrong with the retina etc, just something he said happens in most near sighted people, which I am near sighted. Just didn't start till I started having neck problems...Could have been a complete coincidence , so yeah...eh.
  • i was the same as you,never slept any other way but on my stomach.I found it so hard to switch to my side and back.I also thought of the body pillows,didn't really help me,they just kept me awake.I found them uncomfortable having such a big pillow beside me in bed.But i have to confess it did keep me from laying on my stomach.If you can get over not being able to move around, it will help.I just felt chlosterphobic with them.i have a water pillow and a memory foam pillow now and i lay my head on the memory foam and i put the water pillow behind my hip area and lay on it ,it keep me from laying totally on my back and when that position becomes to painfull then i switch it and put the waterpillow infront of me and cuddle with it so that i'm laying slightly forward but am not totally on my stomach.Its much smaller then a body pillow.
advertisement