Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible blood clot from IV?

noseovertailnnoseovertail Posts: 387
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
During my stay in the hospital (on the 2nd day I believe), we had to move my IV from my right hand to my left because I developed some irritation. It hurt a lot and I had a red line/rash where the IV was. Once it was in my left hand, it was okay.

Flash forward to now. Four weeks later... and I have a tiny bump where the IV went into my right hand. It hurts, like throbbing. If I push on it it really hurts. I googled it and then stopped because I started scaring myself. I read that it may be a blood clot?! Should I call my surgeon's office tomorrow and ask them about this? I'm kind of scared, and it hurts!!

• If it were me, I would at least give them a call. Anything that causes you the least bit of concern (especially something that could be potentially serious) is worth checking out. Better safe than sorry. :) Course that is me, the over cautious one.
  • Andrea, I would call too. You can NEVER be too cautious about a possible blood clot. Even very small ones are really dangerous. I hope all is ok with it. Please keep us (me) updated. PS, was finally able to upload a pic other than my crazy dog. That is me and my fave US Army LT. :)
  • Always default to the safety of contacting your doc's office. Many times when IV's blow like that, they will cause the venous valve to become hard and feel like a little knot. Depending on the damage to the vein around it, there may be some inflammation and soreness. The pain eventually goes away, but the valve can stay hard for quite some time. It is not normally considered a health risk. Of course this is what I've experienced over the years with multiple IV's and blown veins.

Best thing to do though is call the doc's office to alleviate your anxiety and to make certain as to what the issue is.

• Ouch! Blown IV sites can be painful. For the pain, I suggest applying a warm cloth for 15 minutes every hour. You should contact your surgeon's office just to be on the safe side.

Best to you,

P.S. I enjoyed your photo journal!
  • I would call the surgeon's office. I called so often in my 2nd & 3rd weeks that they were getting tired of hearing from me. When I started feeling guilty about bugging them, I just pulled out their bill. If they're getting paid THAT MUCH they can surely afford to talk to me on the phone and alleviate my fears :loll:
  • I agree with all of the above posters, check with your doctor. Blood clots are very serious, better to be safe than sorry not to mention aleviate your fears.
    Kat_woman38 - I love it...and so true!
  • just got a call back. 'Superficial thrombophlebitis' is the name for what I have on my hand. She said the treatment is usually anti-inflammatory medicine, but since I can't take those I should just put a warm compress on my hand and it should break up on it's own after a while.

She told me that the clots that go to your brain, etc. are more deeply inside you, and even if there is a clot on my hand that it's nothing to worry about.

Googling a bit, I found this good illustration of superficial thrombophlebitis: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/18086.jpg
  • =D> Glad to hear you made the call. I know you feel a good deal of relief. >:D<
  • My husband got a blood clot in his arm from an IV once. He had to be on blood thinners for a long time. Glad that is not the case for you.
  • come out of my hands a couple of weeks later after the last three surgeries I've had. Sort of like some scar tissue or some weird stuff. The little spot where the IV was placed gets red and sore and then a small "core sample" of tissue will poke through the spot a few days later. Usually hurts like heck. I hope the pain goes away soon. I'd be interested to know if you get sort of a clear to white sort of tube of tissue coming out of the spot after a few days. That's what has happened to me.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.