Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I Too Have Been Approved For SSD....

caitycccaityc Posts: 268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I can't even begin to express the gratitude, happiness and relief I feel. I stopped working in June of 07, applied for SSD for the second time in July 09, and was approved in October. I was found disabled dating back to June 07, so I received 2 years back pay. I also have 2 children that I will be getting back pay for as well.

To say that the money was needed is an understatement. My husband and I lost a lot with my inability to work, and his 2 lay offs in 2008. I never saw a light at the end of the tunnel. I was certain this time I would be denied as well and would need to retain a lawyer.

Some say that the approval is bittersweet because on the one hand it is so great to know that extra income will be coming in. But on the otherhand, it's kind of like "wow, I really am disabled". I have had many moments over the last 3-4 years where I have cried many times with the realization that I am disabled, so really this approval is just validation for me, and I actually feel better. Don't get me wrong, the tears are still shed. When I get back from the grocery store (when all I've done is direct my husband what to put in the cart) and I sit and cry because I hurt, or the days when I can't shave my legs, or when my husband needs to put my socks on for me, or when I drop something and the closest family member comes running to pick it up without even thinking twice about it, or not being able to make plans with friends unless I've been there before and I know I don't have to stand and that there are comfortable chairs to sit on, the list goes on.

I just realized I went on a tangent there! I guess it's something I just needed to get off my chest! :)

To all of you who are still in the application stage, do not give up. Keep trying, keep appealing. It may take a while, but I am one more person who now has a lot more faith in the SS system. :)

• Congratulations Caity!

It is so nice to read so many posts here from people who are getting approved! What more perfect timing could there be but around the holidays, eh? :-) I'm happy for you! Congrats again-now go take it easy for awhile..hopefully this ease of stress will help the pain/sleep, etc!
  • Caity, I am so happy for you!! I am in the beginning stages of filing for SSD. I have my intial interview on Dec. 12., so only bout a week away.
    I can totally relate to the financial issues, as I'm fighting right now with my short term disability claim, and trying to keep it approved. ugh!
    I fully understand the part about being validated as to being "disabled", I have my days just like you, that I won't do something, cuz it hurts too bad, and then the days that I feel like "what..me disabled....naw, not me" :( I wish you well, and hope you and your family has a good holiday season.
  • The only word I can use to describe it is "huge", if that makes sense.

Tanya, this was PERFECT timing! And yes, the restless nights, heart palpatations, etc. are over. Wish I could say the pain is less. :(

Glor, good luck with your application! Don't get discouraged if you are denied the first time. I hear most people do not get approved the first time. I was approved on my second application, which I filed 1 1/2 years later. Just don't give up! And good luck!!!

• I'm happy for you. What a relief not to have to worry where the finances are coming for necessities. Having chronic pain is awful and no money is just the worst. Some better days up ahead for sure. Take care. CHarry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am sorry I didn't say it sooner but I somehow missed this post. Great news!
  • WONDERFUL news !!! :D

I hear you about the mixed emotions - I dropped my cane and my 3 yr old grandson dashed right over and grab it for me and gave it to me saying "nana here take this so you don't fall". As I kissed him thank you the thought ran through my head that the way I am is all he will ever know me as :(

BUT then I say to my God I am sorry and I am thankful that I am even able to enjoy my GK's :D

My emotions go back & forth like this many times a day 8} lol
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.