Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 week permanent SCS update

anjuanaanjuan Posts: 236
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Since a lot of times people don't post unless something is wrong I wanted to post about my success. So far I am very happy that I had the SCS implant. I am now back at the office working full time and feeling great! Last week we took a 3.5 hour drive to the relatives for Thanksgiving and I had no problems. I even did some black Friday shopping (mom carried the bags) and the biggest problem was that the bottom of my feet got sore, not my back. Then when we came home on Sunday DH put up the Christmas tree and I decorated most of it. I thought I would be really sore the next day but I was fine. I have gone from taking 3-4 norcos a day and still being in pain to taking 1-2 and I really haven't even been trying to reduce the meds. Also, when I do take them they seem to help more than in the past. It is so great not to be as foggy-headed at work. My PM Dr. didn't want me going off my meds yet but I have a follow-up appointment with him on Friday.

As far as the stimulator goes I have met with my programer 3 times since the surgery and I think she is wonderful! The stimulation is still somewhat variable but not as bad as it was at first. The one thing that is somewhat of a pain is that due to the nature of my programs I have to charge fairly frequently. I know that it also doesn't help because I am not patient enough to sit and relax long enough to get the full charge. Now that I am feeling better I just want to be up doing more.

Also, at my Dr's recommendation I have been trying to loose weight since this summer. It has been going very slowly, but this past weekened at my weigh-in I hit the 20 pd mark!

If anyone has any good recommendations for exercises (in addition to walking) that you can do without worrying about them pulling out the leads, please let me know. I am going to ask my Dr. for a PT referral so I can learn some safe stretches, etc.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful holiday season!

• I guess my doctor knew what he was talking about...I didn't think I could reduce my meds either but he said it would happen on it's own. I was taking 6-8 pain pills a day...I am down to 1 and on bad days 2. My doctor was so excited for me...he usually has to give something for the withdrawals but I did it all on my own. I have the same trouble...I use too much energy with my programs and have to charge every 3rd day. I strap on the charging belt and away I go. I don't let it stop me from doing anything. I shop, teach, clean house with the charger on.

I too am so happy with my SCS. I may only be 42 but I felt like 90. The SCS has brought back my quality of life and I wonder why they didn't suggest this years ago...it would of save me a lot of grief. Glad you are happy with your decision to go with the perm. placement. Happy Holidays to you and everyone reading.
  • My PM doc wants me to have the scs put in for my neck<heres the question,I'm having a mri on my lower back soon,should I wait on the scs until after and if they find problems can they make the scs work on both my neck and lower back.I get to the dr and forget to ask all these question,I guess I need to start making a list of questins before I go and see him,any help would be greatly appreciated.Remeber to keep smiling,laughing and stay positive.Here's hoping all of you are having the least pain possible! Peace and Love to you all! Mark
  • My post didn't all show up......hmmmm.I'll tey again. The dr wants the scs for my neck,I'm going for mri on my lower back soon.I didn't think about asking him if he finds a problem with my back will the scs be able to take care of both problems.Any help would be appreciated.Hoping all of you are having a good pain day.Peace and Love to you all.Keep smiling,laughing and being positive!Mark
  • First off, once you have an SCS implanted, you an no longer have an MRI done. So any new conditions will have to be diagnosed in different ways. I have an SCS in my neck, and although I get stimulation in my legs and feet, it does not target the specific nerve root fibers that a lumbar SCS does and does not provide adequate pain relief in the legs. It's more of a comfort signal in my legs, then a pain disruption signal.

Have you been ruled out as a surgical candidate on your neck? Have you tried all possible therapies and treatments? An SCS isn't like throwing a temporary tattoo on your arm and walking around knowing you can wash it off at any time

Start writing down all your questions, and take the list with you when you go to see your PM doc. Being well informed when it comes to decisions reguarding permanent medical implants, is paramount.

• I think it is fantastic that you are finding your way around now so much easier with the SCS. If you can find a way to develop the patience for charging, you will have a better sense of freedom. I have turned my charging sessions into my own personal get a way where no one can interfere. I sit and watch a movie or TV show for a couple of hours of down time.

You will find things just naturally fall into place as you go along each day.

Best of luck to you.

• Thank you C for your reply.I've had 3 neck surgries,they wanna do another but I'm really trying to avoid it.I've started a list of questions already.I will take it slowly and be patiant and get all the information and knowledge about the scs before I make any decision.Thanks again.Mark
  • anjuan said:
    If anyone has any good recommendations for exercises (in addition to walking) that you can do without worrying about them pulling out the leads, please let me know. I am going to ask my Dr. for a PT referral so I can learn some safe stretches, etc.
    I do walking or treadmill daily depending on the weather, use a recumbent bike 2-3 times per week, and do water aerobics 3 times a week. With that combination, I'm down 86 pounds in about a year and a half since my implant. :D

• Hello all,

I'm going to have a trial on Monday 12/7 with potential implantation on 12/11. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as recooperation? My employer is only going to give me a week off for this because I've exhausted my FMLA. I have a desk job.

• It's possible you may need more than a week off after the permanent implant. I recently had my implant 2 1/2 weeks ago. I went back to work 6 days later but was pretty uncomfortable. If I didn't have so much work to do right now, I would have liked to squeeze an additional week for recovery. This week hasn't been too bad. Still a little sore but at least I'm able to sit a little longer than I usually can.

Good Luck next week.