Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back issues and urination

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am 37 year old female and just recently had an Mri done of my lumbar spine due to the many years of lower back pain that is getting increasingly worse and different. In a nutshell the results were that I have 3 bulging discs, a central herniated disc, arthritis, degenerative disc disease, synovial cyst and an extra vertebrae.
In my shock of the findings of my Mri, what has me concerned really is the loss of bladder control I have when I cough, sneeze or even laugh. This was never an issue before in years past until this latest battle with the ever present pain i've been having since the spring. I am scheduled for an EMG this month, would this show signs of what could be causing this? and what is my course of action for which type of doctor and treatments in the future? Any advice and help is appreciated.. Thank You

• Have you told your bladder issues to your doctor. You should go see your doctor today and not tomorrow. The doctor should either be a spinal orthopedist or neurosurgeon. Based upon all my readings loss of bladder control is a very bad sign.

Others I am sure will post here also to concur or correct me.

• With spine problems, bladder and/or bowel dysfunction is considered an emergency and requires immediate treatment.

Call your doctor now or go to the ER.

• I have also been having this problem. One moment your coughing and the nest your urinating and can not stop it. At least this is how it is for me. I am waiting to get into my doctor. Really sorry I have no answers just wanted to let you know you are not alone.
  • I concur. I was told in the ER when I went in with my original sciatica that if loss of bladder or bowel control ever happened to go immediately to ER. It is an emergency and requires immediate surgery.

With this said if you only leak a bit when sneezing and coughing this is quite common in women as they age, especially if you've had children. This happens to me (43yrs old and 4 kids) but it is not a true loss of control, only leakage and is not an issue my doctor is worried about.
This discussion has been closed.