Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-op appointment

SapaSSapa Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just got a call from the hospital to set up my pre-op appointment. It's next Monday. My surgery is next Thursday. All of a sudden I feel even MORE nervous even though I've been eager to get this done. I know it's normal to feel this way, it's just that my stomach is doing flip flops now. :SS

• Yep, a pre-op appointment is a sure sign that you're going to have surgery. LOL

I hope everything goes well at the appointment. Something interesting at my ACDF pre-op was one of the nurses that was talking to me about how I was going to be treated for pain. She told me that after my surgery, when a nurse or doctor asks me what level of pain I'm in on the 1-10 scale, to use a number higher than what pain I was actually in. She said that way, you'll be sure to get proper pain relief. Cool, huh?

Anyway, I hope it goes well and I love your doggy picture.

• (somehow lost my post, ah well, will try again)

The pre-op testing makes everything so REAL. We can read, research, chat with others, but there's something about going into the hospital for the preliminaries that gives you a jolt.

Its only natural for you to be nervous, if you weren't we would be concerned.

Have faith in your surgeon and his/her team. Have your house ready, accept help when offered and rest and walk, rest, walk and follow Dr's orders. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

• How about getting yourself some treats for when you get home again? How about a book or two, or DVD that you'd like to watch? Things to pass the time while you heal after surgery, once you are home again.

Good luck, hope all goes well.
    Just think, some time in the not too distant future you will feel much better!
  • The good thing is you are actually having a pro-op appointment. It means they are being thorough and this is good for YOU and them.

They'll go over all your medical history. Current pain levels. Prescriptions. Vitamins etc. Then draw blood for certain tests. Do an EKG and verify your heart is stable. You meet nurses, anesthesiologist, maybe some OR staff. Everything your surgeon and the hospital want verified up front. This maybe in part to cover their tails. But it is for you. They want no issues during surgery. They want you to understand what is going to happen. It keeps you more calm and reduces surprises and frustration.

I thought they did a really fine job of making sure I was ready for this surgery.

So think of this as a positive thing for you. Even if it is making you nervous the day is now coming.
  • Aw, Sapa, don't worry too much. Just think of how much better you will feel after surgery, and how you are doing this to try to better your quality of life. It's like an early holiday gift to yourself. I think Jellyhall had a great idea, get yourself a special treat. I had lots of candies at the hospital and I offered them to all the nurses, maybe that's a good idea to remember too! :)
  • Sapa said:
    Just got a call from the hospital to set up my pre-op appointment. It's next Monday. My surgery is next Thursday. All of a sudden I feel even MORE nervous even though I've been eager to get this done. I know it's normal to feel this way, it's just that my stomach is doing flip flops now. :SS
    Howdy Sapa! :-)

Glad to see things are moving forward for you. Like was said in another reply, "this tells you surgery is really gonna happen" or something to that effect.

I don't know if you've had surgery before, but these tests are to make sure you are safer in surgery. Medical history, any meds (including vitamins, over the counter etc.), if you have had a cold or flu in the last few weeks etc. Most times they do an EKG, chest X-ray, and CBC and related blood work ups. For my first fusion they also did the standard "female" tests - Mammogram and Pelvic! All was good - I took it as like taking a "pre-physical", so I was glad I had it.

Set as much up at your house as you can. Depending on how you were told you would be after surgery - treats within reach, remotes and magazines etc. where you can reach them. Bathroom - toilet paper such that you don't have to twist to get it...things like that.

Nervous is good...that is normal! Let us know how things progress. Most of us have been where you are. We are your ears if you need to talk, and support if you need answers! Good luck with it Sapa!!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I am having a PLIF on Dec 15th of the L4-L5 & L-5 to S-1. I had to go for my pre-op appointment just today. It is about a 45 minute drive, so my hubby and I had to get up pretty early to beat the rush hour traffic this morning. I was nervous too, but my fears calmed after getting there and going through the actual process. I started with a brace fitting at my NS office in the medical tower next to the main hospital. I even got to bring it home with me so I could practice putting it on and trying to get use to it a bit before surgery. I then went around to do the typical mountain of paperwork at the admissions office and then they sent me to pre-op testing. I did a couple more Q & A sheets about med history, etc and had to list all my current meds. A list is sufficient, as I lugged my bottles needlessly all morning. They drew three tubes of blood, took a swab of each nasal passage for MRSA to make sure I don't have any infections, weighed me, and did an EKG. That was it. I was done after that. The nurse did ask me about anesthesia in the past and any drug allergies, basic questions. After I finished up there, my hubby and I toured the facility in the areas that I would be in such as the surgical waiting floor and where to find there food court, etc. as he will have to know where to find everything while he waits. He was tickled to find that the hospital has it's own Starbucks Coffee shop. lol :D All in all it took about 3 hours...a good bit was just waiting to be called back in admitting. I feel a lot better about the hospital now that I am familiar with the facility. No more fear of the unknown. I am just eager now to have the surgery and be on my way to healing. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes. >:D<
  • Thanks for all the information and well wishes! It's good to know what to expect for my pre-op appointment. That really helps to hear your experiences!

I'm going to try and get my bedroom "set up" as someone mentioned. And I did get myself some "treats" as someone else mentioned - a few good books, puzzles. Stuff like that. There are a couple of things I would still like to get if I can find them that were mentioned on the post-op must haves list.

And, I want to get laundry done, and stuff like that, so my husband doesn't have to do it. Actually, he wouldn't mind, but I don't like the way he does laundry! That's the one household chore I'm picky about! (I know, weird.)

I will let you all know how it goes, and I'll probably post more as the day draws near! It really helps to have all of your reassuring words, and words of experience!

Thanks again.

• Sandy,

I wondered if you have anything you want to get for Christmas (presents etc.) Get it now if you do. If you are well prepared, you won't stress if it is a while before you feel like doing much.