Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 week post-op follow up

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my follow up today for my 2 level spine fusion (L4-S1). The doctor said that the leg pain that I am experiencing only happens in 3% of the surgeries. So I had to go have a CT done today and depending on what he sees I may be having a localized injection to the nerve by L4 level. I was told that the fusion has not started yet, I will be starting physical therapy soon. Still on the same restrictions and I was hoping to go back to work Jan. 4th which would be 9 weeks post op but the doctor didnt think that would happen but i am hoping it does.

• Honestly, if your doctor doesn't think it's a good idea to go back to work by then I really wouldn't push yourself. You don't want to have to go through this again. It's so much better to take your time and make sure you're healing properly.

How are you doing otherwise? I remember your other post and how we have so many similarities. Hope you're feeling better than you were before.
  • I am doing ok. I have my good days and my bad days. I would be much better if I could sleep. But one of the new medicines I got today is suppose to help me sleep. So hopefully it works. I would feel a lot better if my leg pain would go away so hopefully the doctor can fix it.
  • I feel ya, girl. My leg pain is absolutely driving me insane. I never even had any pre-surgery, so I've been really down and depressed about it. Are you on any medication for the nerve/leg pain?

Are you unable to sleep because you still can't sleep on your stomach? Have you tried anything herbal, like Valerian Root or Melatonin? (Of course, I would ask your doctor before trying those, just in case it might mix badly with your meds).

Seriously, feel free to PM me if you ever want to.
  • Yep, that Melatonin worked wonders for me. It's also a mood-lifter - or maybe it was just getting sleep - that would lift anyone's mood!

You had the same fusion as I did (I think) and from my experience - 9 weeks post-op is awfully fast to be going back to work - particularly with your leg pain continuing. I know it's not easy to hear, I freaked when I was not allowed to go back to work at 3 mo. Then it was 4 mo, then it was 5 mo! I finally got back to work at 5 1/2 mo. post op.

Concentrate on healing, sleeping and make back-up plans for if you are out of work longer.
  • I am 6 weeks post L5/S1.. I too had some leg pains, cramps or whatever you want to call them the last week or so. I got great advice on here from posters like saltz! (THANKS!) To be honest my pains have gotten better.. I called my doc this week and asked him about them and he said they along WITH other pains in the legs and lower back are very common for such a short time after a major surgery. He also mentioned that due to the surgery most people are not bending and really using their legs so it will also cause stifness and tightness. I began PT at about the 4 week mark and I can tell you that stretching has really helped me feel better. Of course walking and icing has helped as well. I hope everything gets better for you.. This is a great site for support and advice. Keep us posted!
  • Well my leg pain is not stiffness it is sharp electric shock type of pain and i cant put weight on my left leg. So my doctor wants to figure out what is causing it and fix it as soon as possible so i can walk better because not being able to put weight on it is affecting my healing process since it slows down my walking which as you know i need to get better. So i should know soon what the scans showed and know the next step to heal it.
  • I would suggest to your surgeon that it is more like 3% of patients that do NOT have leg pain after a lower lumbar fusion -- at least it sure seems that way!! I can't think of a single person I know who didn't wake up from a fusion surgery with leg pain or develop it shortly after.

Usually the next step is a Medrol pack (oral steroids) or a transforaminal steroid injection that is laid in close to the nerve root to try to get the inflammation to go down.

Hopefully that is ll you'll need to take care of the problem.

Good luck with your scan today.