Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, i am very new to the forums, and i need to know what to expect at a hearing. I have applied for SSD for in 2005 for CTS in both hands, three surgery on my right and 1 on my left hand, and I was denied. I asked for reconsideration and was denied again Now, I have a lawyer and i have been scheduled for hearing. I had neck surgery on March of 2009 multi-level from c-3 -c7, and bone spurs in back/elbows,arthritis. My right foot also is giving me problem. Do i need to list all of my surgery to my lawyer. I need to hear someone who have been thru this hearing. Can you tell me how long would this hearing will be? Do you know the ruling at the hearing? If approval, I haven't gave them no acct numbers? Would I need to take my bank account information? Just give me some feedback on this. Please, I thank you for all of the information so far everybody have shared with me.

• I know you are anxious but I would not expect to hear anything at the hearing and in fact this may just be the beginning of a whole new application process. Usually SSD takes months and years to get approved accept in cases of massive disability.

My advice is that since you have hired a lawyer you need to be completely open and honest with him. He works for you but how can he do that if you don't give him the information he needs to help you?

Hasn't he taken a complete medical history from you? He should also have gotten a work history with info on when you could not work.

SSD is not interested in paying people who just can't do what they did in the past. THey will grill you on what you might be able to do. It is supposed to be a last resort for people who are unable to work to support themselves.

I don't mean to sound harsh but these are the realities of SSD. Their job is to make sure you truly need it. I would contact your lawyer immediately. You need to have a lengthy conversation with him about your history before your hearing. If he won't talk to you it might be time for a new lawyer.

Good Luck and let us know what happens
  • I am not looking for SSD to give me a hand out. I have worked over 30yrs for the govt., and still would be working if i did not have these problems. My case has been in action for almost 4yrs. Maybe, I did not make myself clear, and I was asking what happens at a hearing? I appreciate your thought, but I can barely turn my head to left/right. I do have a lawyer who have taking a medical history, and I will be meeting with her before the hearing. I truly don't know what I can do with very bad hands/neck/foot problems. I am on heavily medications daily. So, I am asking what happens at a hearing? Can someone who have been there tell me what i am going to go through at a AJ hearing? I am not able to work right now.
  • Maybe I am misunderstanding you. You asked if you needed to tell your lawyer about all of your surgeries. These should all be part of your claim for disability. Carpal tunnel alone is not recognized as a disability. THat change came a few years back. It is not even allowed under most Workers Comp policies anymore. It sounds like you would have a better chance of getting SSD with your new problems. But you asked if you should tell your lawyer about them so it would seem that they are not on your claim.

I have not gone through the process myself but I know several people who have. It is a long and grueling process. They do everything they can to find out what your limitations truly are. They ask the same questions over and over and word them to try to trick you into admitting that you can do things you said you can't. Like many things in life, there are lots of people who can work but don't want to so they try to lie to get benefits. THis makes it harder for people who truly need them.

You haven't said what type of hearing or meeting you have scheduled. It might be an appeal hearing to see if they will reconsider your original claim or it might be a meeting to gather new info. Your paperwork should give more info on this. The people I know who went through this were notified by mail when SSD was granted. That's why I said not to expect an answer on the 11th.

Since you have a lawyer I would ask her all of these questions. I am a little concerned because it seems like she is not communicating with you very well if you still have all of these questions.

I wish you luck next week. It is unfortunate that when we are at our worst we have to go through so much to get what is deserved.
  • You did misunderstand what i was asking. I was stating that i know some people on the forum put down different surgeries at the bottom of their topic in which it does not have nothing to do with their case/issue. ex: tubal ligitation, hysterectomy. I was asking should I report those types surgeries to my lawyer? My female problem doesn't have anything to do with my neck/hands. I did not know i should report something does not contain to my disability. I hope you understand what i was asking. I hope you don't take what i am saying the wrong way. I received an letter from SS stated that i have to appear for a hearing. I applied for SS for my hands, and i asked for reconsideration, so now i am at the hearing stage now. Also, i wanted to know what happens in a hearing? I had to take early retirement because of my hands, and it was a workers' comp issue in Ga. I will be speaking with my lawyer this week about issues does not have nothing to do with my disability. I was asking can someone share their experiences with me concerning their hearing process . I hope you can understand me now. You are right, there are people who get it and do not need it and make it harder for the ones who do need it. More feedback! thanks for your informations.
  • I would make speak to your lawyer about the neck surgery. And the foot. Your original claim was based on hands but now you have even more reasons.

THe neck may be very important. I have a herniation in the neck and it is causing numbness down my whole arm. One doctor asked if I had ever had CTS. I bet there are links there.

Good Luck with your hearing. I would share everything with your lawyer and let her figure it out.
  • Hi Steady!

The disability hearing is an informal meeting of the minds. There may be a vocational expert and quite possibly a medical expert there to testify further on any jobs that may exist for you to perform...

Normally, they don't last more than 30 minutes. Any attorney worth his mettle will have a feeling as to which way the Judge is leaning. Usually, the attorneys know the personalities of the judges they go before and kind of know what each judge looks for.

There will not be a jury or any spectators; or any other disability applicants. It will be you, your attorney, the presiding ALJ and any experts the judge may ask to appear.

Hope this helps you. Oh, and you don't really need to go out and buy a suit with a tie; you can wear anything you would wear to church. You can wear jeans, as long as they are nice jeans without holes.

I would definitely mention all surgical procedures you have had; hopefully your attorney has all these records. If not, you need to get in touch with him/her and even drive out to the doctor's office or hospital if necessary and get these records. I would FEDEX a copy to the ALJ, but keep your originals and bring them with you when you go.

Good luck. Keep us posted?
  • I am so relieved now, I thank you have put everything in propective. I will try not to be too nervous when i am speaking. I really don't like to talk when i am surrounding by a lot of people. I will tell my attorney about my tubing ligitation, hysterectomy. I thought if it was relevant to my disability, I did not have to report it to her. You have really made me comfortable and I feel good right now. I kept getting these dizzy spells and I have a call for the doctor. This forum is really nice for us to express our pain, feeling and try to make the best out of our lives. Again, thank you for the information and i will keep you posted on the outcome of my hearing.
  • You are correct; anything that in some way contributes to your inability to work or for which you are still receiving treatment should at least be mentioned.

Good luck to you. I'll be thinking of you come Friday and sending positive vibes in your direction (wherever that may be)!