Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

social security disability and workmans comp

sillymurphssillymurph Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I was wondering if social security disability finds you disabled. What are the chances that workmans comp will? You would think that the State would go by what the feds say.

• Because I was hurt on the job and can't work anymore due to the injury. Workmans comp should pension me out. I hope this answers your question
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    WC and SS make totally separate decisions. They are not at all related nor do they regard the others decisions in any way. In addition, they are based on totally different compensation systems and different guidelines of what "disabled" means.

WC is making a decision if something is compensable (work related and disabling), what they will pay for in terms of medical, and what type of settlement to reach with you based on your amount of disability and lost income (current and/or future income).

SS is looking at whether someone qualifies under the SS system and if the person is totally disabled and unable to work at any job.

You can qualify for SSDI or SSI if receiving (or having received) WC - but your SS will be offset by any "lost income" payments from WC (they will not offset any WC payments for medical services/treatment).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos